From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does setting a window to modal create a little border around when running?

This question is a bit about asthetics.  I created a few different pop-up windows for my application which have been sized tightly around the contents.  When Window Appearance is set to Default or Floating and I run the VI, I get the results I want, which is basically what was designed on the front panel.  However, when set to Modal, LV adds a thin gray border around my window when run, making it look sloppy when open (looks like it is sitting on another panel).  Is there any reason why LV does this?  Is there any way I can make it not do this?

I do not want to have the window Floating b/c there is always someone out there who has to double click everything and this will trigger two events to open the window.  Also, when floating, the window doesn't open active.  (Window is opened when any one of a few indicators on my main program is clicked upon).

Attached is the most simple example I have.  To see what I'm talking about, run it the way it is, then change Appearance to Modal and run again.  Pay attention to the border.  Easiest to notice on a white background.

I'm using LV 7.1

I know this isn't exactly a serious issue, but I appreciate the help and the feedback all the same.  Thank you.

--
Sean
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,608 Views)
I'm sure that it's just to emphasis the dialog since a 'modal' dialog
will stay on top of all other LabVIEW windows.

I can imagine a scenario where you don't have a border in your dialog,
and a user gets frustrated because they can't find where the modal
dialog is since it blends in with another window in the background, and
they can't click anywhere else!

Kahless wrote:
> This question is a bit about asthetics.  I created a few different pop-up windows for my application which have been sized tightly around the contents.  When Window Appearance is set to Default or Floating and I run the VI, I get the results I want, which is basically what was designed on the front panel.  However, when set to Modal, LV adds a thin gray border around my window when run, making it look sloppy when open (looks like it is sitting on another panel).  Is there any reason why LV does this?  Is there any way I can make it not do this?
>  
> I do not want to have the window Floating b/c there is always someone out there who has to double click everything and this will trigger two events to open the window.  Also, when floating, the window doesn't open active.  (Window is opened when any one of a few indicators on my main program is clicked upon).
>  
> Attached is the most simple example I have.  To see what I'm talking about, run it the way it is, then change Appearance to Modal and run again.  Pay attention to the border.  Easiest to notice on a white background.
>  
> I'm using LV 7.1
>  
> I know this isn't exactly a serious issue, but I appreciate the help and the feedback all the same.  Thank you.
>  
> --
> Sean
>
>
> New Value.vi:
> http://forums.ni.com/attachments/ni/170/202212/1/New Value.vi

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,596 Views)
>This question is a bit about asthetics.  I created a few different pop-up windows for my application which have been sized tightly around the contents.  When
>Window Appearance is set to Default or Floating and I run the VI, I get the results I want, which is basically what was designed on the front panel.  However,
>when set to Modal, LV adds a thin gray border around my window when run, making it look sloppy when open (looks like it is sitting on another panel).  Is there
>any reason why LV does this? 

Probably inherited from MS Windows.

>Is there any way I can make it not do this?

Yes.  But probably not worth it.

George Zou
George Zou
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,593 Views)