LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does my cluster have weird names that I didn't set up?

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a cluster with good names as I'm expecting and bad names, I don't know how they came from. For the bad ones, I was expecting them to be  "Log.11.label .... Log.20.label"

What did I do wrong to "Log. 1 2. label..." . I'm struggling with fixing them. (I have attached my VI)

GRCK5000_1-1676490270684.png

GRCK5000_0-1676490201811.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(918 Views)

Unless you attach your cluster, we cannot tell what you are doing wrong. Maybe there are hidden elements?

What does the context help say if you hover over the cluster wire?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(910 Views)

Hi Mr.altenbach,

I just attached it.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(908 Views)

@GRCK5000 wrote:

I have a cluster with good names as I'm expecting and bad names, I don't know how they came from. For the bad ones, I was expecting them to be  "Log.11.label .... Log.20.label"

What did I do wrong to "Log. 1 2. label..." . I'm struggling with fixing them. 

GRCK5000_1-1676490270684.png

GRCK5000_0-1676490201811.png

Unfortunately that is PEBCAK.  It looks very much like you copied some controls and did not rename them from their default copy names.  LabVIEW will always add an incremental number after the label.  SO let's say you have a control named "A".  If you copy it, the name of the copy will be "A 1".  If you select both and copy/paste, you get "A 2" and "A 3".

And always remember that everything that appears in the cluster bundle/unbundle by name is in the actual cluster.  EVERYTHING.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 4 of 9
(900 Views)

H Billko,

Yes, I was copying controls to save me some time. Is there any way this can be fixed without having to manually create controls one by one?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(884 Views)
Solution
Accepted by GRCK5000

You need to edit the type definition and name things the way you want them

Message 6 of 9
(879 Views)

Hi GRCK,

@GRCK5000 wrote:

Is there any way this can be fixed without having to manually create controls one by one?

You just need to rename them as needed.

How else do you define a datastructure/typedef in any programming language? You need to define the labels for each element of the structure/cluster…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 7 of 9
(876 Views)

The quickest fix is to delete it all and start over.  LabVIEW auto-incrementing labels is a great convenience, but you have to understand how it works. 

Create a control inside a cluster and give it a name with any text, a space and any number.  When you copy and paste the control, the text and the space are carried forward and the number increments.  Copy any number of controls, and the numbers all increment perfectly.  It does not even mater which one you copy. 

Your labels are missing the text and the space before the number that make it work.

Michael Munroe, CLD, CTD, MCP
Automate 1M+ VI Search, Sort and Edit operations with Property Inspector 5.0, now with a new Interactive Window Manager!
Now supports full project automation using one-click custom macros or CLI.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(854 Views)

Actually the quickest way is what Mr. Altenbach said. I did what he said "disconnect the cluster from type def" then change the names. Problem is fixed now.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(808 Views)