LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does an application start so slowly after being compiled into executable program?

Albert,

I think we all have blue borders (around the boxes).

Perhaps a sign of NI wanting to contain us?  Conspiracy theories abound!

Shane.
Using LV 6.1 and 8.2.1 on W2k (SP4) and WXP (SP2)
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 15
(700 Views)
Youre right, I thought i had a bad foot, but now it extends to my eyes, sorry Pansy
greetings from the Netherlands
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 15
(691 Views)

Also remember that there is not always a good correlation between disk space and memory requirements consider the simple c code line

int bigArray[10000000];

This will take only a few Bytes of storage but will require a wopping MB of ram to run.

The runtime engine will require some memory but usually a large memory block is allocated for big arrays or dynamically growing data structures (which can be a sign of a memory leak).  Also just because your program is small does not mean that you are not using several MB of dll calls.

Paul

Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 15
(685 Views)

@falkpl wrote:

Also remember that there is not always a good correlation between disk space and memory requirements consider the simple c code line

int bigArray[10000000];

This will take only a few Bytes of storage but will require a wopping MB of ram to run.

The runtime engine will require some memory but usually a large memory block is allocated for big arrays or dynamically growing data structures (which can be a sign of a memory leak).  Also just because your program is small does not mean that you are not using several MB of dll calls.

Another example. Look at some .Net dlls. Amazingly small on disk but oohhh when they are loaded into memory!

Rolf Kalbermatter
Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 15
(669 Views)

Thank you all!Smiley Happy

Yes,I build an empty vi to executable file.Run the program takes 22M memory.Maybe it is only for the run-time engine.

I try a login vi for initiation too.But only loading the run-time engine will take some time,not as fast as a ccode program.How can I quickly show a login page before the run-time engine loads and close the page automatically after the main vi runs?

Smiley HappyOf course,I am not working for NI.I am only a graduate student.Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 15
(634 Views)