LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I get a 'BLOCK INPUT ERROR' when I try to recall the state

I'm using the hp8753e network analyzer with a GPIB cable to the computer.
When I try to use the save\recall state vi from the driver (the original one, I didn't make any changes) I can save the state but, when I try to recall it I get a 'BLOCK INPUT ERROR' and I can no longer communicate with the network analyzer.
The same thing happens with the save\recall calibration.
Anyway, I'm becoming realy frustrated here so please help me...
If you think of anything, my Email is: lilachg@rfwaves.com .
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,795 Views)
Hi Lilach:
1. Are you sure it is hp8753e? because in the download section for instrument drivers, I found the download is for 8753a/b/c/d. I am just thinking if this affects. I am telling this because I just tried to run this VI in save mode with nothing connected. And it ran fine. That means Save will run anytime. But recalling needs access and it is here it is facing problems.

I assume that you already have NI-488.2 and NI-VISA 2.5 installed on your computer.

I would suggest you to take a look at the following page :

http://www.ni.com/devzone/idnet/

And you may trying requesting driver for this.

I will surely keep you posted if I find some more information on this issue.

Sincerely,
Sastry V.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,795 Views)
Hi Lilach,
Try one more thing.
1. Open hp8753 save/Recall State.vi and go to its Block Diagram.

2. Double Click on HP 8753 Write Text to Screen.vi and go to its block diagram.

3. Can you see an Exclusive-OR Vi connected to the Extract GPIB Address.vi? OK, there you can see that the top input terminal of Exclusive-OR Vi is 1. Right?? Change that '1' to 0. Now try running the HP8753 Save/Recall state.Vi.

I personally think that top input terminal of Exclusive-OR should not be 1 or anything non-zero. It should be 0 if I am not wrong because say, if the top terminal of XOR is 1, then if your instrument address is 1, then the output of that VI will be 1 XOR 1 = 0. Hence the resource string to VISA OLD OPen vi will be GPIB0::0 which is not correct for an in
strument. hence I suggest that you change it to 0 and try running your program. Please get back if you still get errors.

Sincerely,
Sastry
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,795 Views)
Hi Sastry,
Thank you for you help, but I'm sorry to say that it still doesn't work...

Thank you,
best regards,
Lilach.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,795 Views)
I am surprised because with no instrument connected, I just verified that there is no error. Hence you mean, you are still getting the "BLOCK INPUT ERROR"? Could you kindly tell me the exact staement of error you are getting and the error code if any??
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,795 Views)