LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why different cameras, some will cause lagging when displaying, some will not.

The attached program. The main program is "Camera TEST2" and the other one is subvi that is needed.

My problem is that when I connect two cameras from "Dinolite" company, there is no lagging at all. However, when I connect two cameras from Supereye company, there is about 2 sec lagging of the image. 

To say this question more general, why different cameras, some will have lagging problem in my program, some will not. Note: all cameras are usb 2.0, so it may not be the data flow problem or wrong usb port on PC.

Any possible guess and comments are welcome. Many thanks!

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,090 Views)

You can probably answer this question for yourself by using the Measurement and Automation Explorer, a.k.a MAX.  Open NI MAX, plug in your Camera, expand Devices and Interfaces, select your Camera, and on the right-hand pane, click "Grab" (which starts acquiring Videos).  Right-click the Image and select "Zoom to Fit".  In the pane below the Image, you'll see some settings for the Video, especially Video Mode, which shows the Resolution and the frame rate.  If the rate is very slow, try selecting a lower resolution, and see if that's better.

My guess is that the two cameras have a different resolution.  Also, USB 2.0 is sort of slow by today's standards ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,036 Views)

Update for the question: Lagging means 'delayed reaction' of the monitor to the camera by up to 3 or more sec.

The cameras without delayed reaction are: https://plugable.com/products/usb2-micro-250x/

The encoding format that all of these cameras use, is MJPEG

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,029 Views)

Hi Bob,

Thanks! I will give a try first.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,028 Views)