LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't LabVIEW 2011 find my PXI?

I'm migrating some real-time Projects from older versions of LabVIEW (8.6 and 2010) to LabVIEW 2011.  For the older systems, I installed the appropriate Real-Time software (matching version numbers) on a PXI controller, which MAX saw just fine.  When I opened my Project, I chose a New Target and had it look for an existing Real-Time PXI -- it always found the PXI without trouble.

I've just taken another PXI controller (8176) and installed LabVIEW 2011 RT on it.  Curiously, during the installation process, MAX identified it (and still does) as a Generic Desktop PC, and when it finds it, gives it a PC-looking icon instead of a PXI chassis icon.  When I open my Project in 2011 and try to add this PXI as a target, it finds no Real-Time PXIs.  Why is this?

There's a VI called RT Ping Controllers that can find all the PXI controllers -- it finds my PXI, and identifies it (correctly) to me by the name I assigned it, so LabVIEW 2011 can definitely "see" this controller, even if Project (apparently) cannot.

I'm beginning some tests involving TCP/IP (and Network Streams) with this controller and configuration.  I've had success with doing this in LabVIEW 2010, but in a (single!) test I've done with this new LabVIEW 2011 RT system, I couldn't "connect".  I haven't beaten this system enough, nor done a side-by-side comparison of equivalent code on a LabVIEW 2010 and LabVIEW 2011 system, but would appreciate it if anyone (else) has had issues (or, better, successes) with PXI-related Real-Time in LabVIEW 2011.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,266 Views)

Hello,

What version of Measurement Automation Explorer and the NI-DAQmx driver do you have? Also, here is article that you may find of some use:

Why can't I add my Real-Time Target in Project Explorer?

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/40BF6300E77E8AD4862574EF006F2793?OpenDocument

Regards,

Patricia B.

National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,234 Views)