From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why am I getting ""LABVIEW.LIB could not locate "FResDir". With Labview 5.1?

I have the runtime installed, but not the 7.1,  I have 5.1 installed.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 14
(613 Views)
I have both Labview versions installed in one PC, so I would think that all necessary files are installed.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 14
(608 Views)

fautsch wrote:

Hi,

I just got the same message you got. I created a dll with Labview 2009 and wanted to use it in LabView 7.1. As soon as I load the DLL the message pops up! The idea of this dll is that anyone could use it, even if they have an older version of LabView. If anyone has a solution please tell me!!

Thanks

You can't do that. You have to develop the DLL in the lowest version of LabVIEW you want to support. That is because a LabVIEW DLL does get loaded into the development system it is running and will try to reference the LabVIEW C manager functions of the calling environment. If it wouldn't do that passing LabVIEW native data would not be possible, since the memory manager of the runtime engine in which the DLL is running has no idea about the memory manager of the calling LabVIEW engine.

But LabVIEW DLLs created in LabVIEW 8.x and newer do try to reference said function which is not present in LabVIEW 7.1 so you get that dialog. If you create the DLL in LabVIEW 7.1 you should be able to load and run it in LabVIEW 8.x and 2009

However between LabVIEw 7.x and 8.x there was a chance in the labview.lib file handling in that it added a labviewv.lib import library which was supposed to deal with LabVIEW version differences between DLL and LabVIEW environment properly and that might make it difficult. It could be that labview.lib does not support running a LabVIEW DLL in a different version than what the DLL is created in while labviewv.lib does support that but was not available before LabVIEW 8.x.This is mostly speculation as I have never fully understood the difference between labview.lib and labviewv.lib but it could very well be that this is the difference between those two.

Message Edited by rolfk on 02-02-2010 08:29 PM
Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 13 of 14
(592 Views)

Hi,

This information may help someone, I decided to build my dll in Labview 8.6 and now I can use it in Labview 7.1

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 14
(561 Views)