From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

While loop rate not matching expected Samples/Rate (Hz) time using DAQmx

I am having trouble saving data at a particular rate.  I need the user to be able to choose the rate at which data is saved.  This might be 0.1 second, 1 second, 5 seconds, 3 minutes, etc.  My test vary from 30 seconds to 16 hours.

I expected the loop rate to be sample rate/samples per channel.  Like 1000S/1000Hz = 1 sec.  This saves at 0.62 sec.  Then when I change the Hz, it still does not match what I expect.  Please help. 

DAQmx

Chassis9174

9242 Voltage

9246 Current

9213 Thermocouple

9401 DIO/Counter

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(1,615 Views)

Hi kyle,

what happens when you read voltage, current and thermocouples in their own DAQmx tasks and loops?

Right now you put all of them (from 3 different modules!) into just one task: the slowest module will determine the possible sample rates.

Did you read all the manuals? Which one might be the slowest module?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(1,608 Views)

On a side note, you might want to look at your code more closely. There are a lot of weird things going on.

A few small examples (I move the shift registers up slightly to show that they are not connected on the left):

altenbach_0-1604001001182.png

Message 3 of 8
(1,586 Views)

GerdW, Yes, I have the same issue if I just sample the voltage.  I just try the Basic Power Measurement vi from NI that sample the current and voltage only.  The loop speed has the same issue.  That just uses the 50kS/s modules.  I want to sample slower and it is going too fast.  Your point is well taken since the TC module is 75S/s, but does not seem to be an issue with savings at 0.1 sec so I left it in there for now.  The values are just the same for in a certain time period.

Altenbach, Noted, the tunnels should have should not have been there and the wire should be connected to the shift registers.  For the TC, any channels without a thermocouple give me a large number.  I am just filtering that out.  Noted on the dbl output.  I just created this vi from my large vi that was needing the waveform.  I try the high resolution seconds and get the same timing values (at least to a few decimals).

How do you suggest to control the timing of my while loop?  Like I would like it to run at some rate I choose whether it be 0.1 sec or 10 sec without getting some buffer error.  Note I can take a general DAQmx vi from Labview with just voltage/current and have the same issue.  At 1000 hz and 1000 samples per channel, I was expecting this to take 1 sec so maybe there are some clock setting I do not have right....

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(1,570 Views)

Here is a simple example sampling voltage only.    It give me the loop rate shown below.  I try placing a wait in the loop of S/CH / Rate (hz).  Ie 10,000/1000 = 10 seconds.  I get error 200279 when I do this even in the simple attached vi.  

S/CH    Rate (hz)   Loop time

1000     1000           0.62 sec

10000   1000           6.20 sec

Any idea on how I can get data at specific intervals like 1s or 10s without errors?  I get error 200279 when I try to place a wait function in the loop.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(1,557 Views)

Hi Kyle,

@kyle_vi wrote:

Here is a simple example sampling voltage only.

S/CH    Rate (hz)   Loop time

1000     1000           0.62 sec

10000   1000           6.20 sec

Again I repeat my suggestion from message #2: "Did you read all the manuals?" (A common acronym is RTFM! :))

In case you don't have them at hand: here's the manual for your NI9242.

It contains a paragraph on "Data rates", which will be of big interest to you!

(Suddenly all your numbers on iteration times make a lot of sense…)

Btw. DAQmx offers property nodes and using them you can read the real sample rate of your DAQmx task:

On your last VI:

Why did you define "Loop rate" as SGL and ignore the coercion dot?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 6 of 8
(1,518 Views)

I have been trying to create the Sample Clock rate property but it did not have the selection available on the timing property node.  I finally find one from another vi on the web and pasted it in. Amazingly the loop rate is now as expected.  1000 hz/1000 samples gives me a loop rate of 1 sec instead of  0.62 sec and 1000 hz/10,000 samples give me a loop rate of 10 sec instead of 6.2 sec.  

Now when I drop a timing property node, the selections are available where I can create the sample clock rate myself.  Seems to be some bug in Labview that corrected itself when I pasted the Sample Clock Rate property node into my program.

Thanks GerdW, you forced me to spend 30 minutes hunting down a 2018 or less vi with the sample rate node.  

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(1,491 Views)

#skeptical

Whatever it is you're now observing, my $ are on GerdW and the device manual being correct.  Perhaps your latest code no longer uses the device in question?   Or something, I dunno, but I very much doubt that you've found a way to make a device do something the manual says it can't.

Your hypothesis that you've somehow "healed" a physical device by tracking down an old copy of a property node is highly dubious.  In other words, I wouldn't spike the ball just yet, because it's very unlikely that you've actually crossed the goal line.

I don't know what IS going on, but I'll bet it ain't what you've been thinking.   You need some more hypotheses.  IMO.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
Message 8 of 8
(1,478 Views)