From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which is the best way to transfer tag data between loops in FPGA to optimize resources

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello to everyone,

I want to know which is the best way to transfer data between loops in the FPGA in order to optimize the resources.

My program reads analog input in a loop, and I want to read this data simultaneously in different loops. With the code the resources usage is about 75% (Total Slices) more or less. I don't need to use DMA because the reading loops are faster than the writting loop, so I can use tags to perform it.

If I use registers I waste all the rest of the resources (about 93%, and I need to put more code in it), so I tried with memories. But the problem is that I can't read them simultaneously because I don't want to arbitrate the reading, so I have used global variables (for the non-critical loops, for the critical loop I use the memory read) but it doesn't seem a proper solution for me.

I attach an image with an example of the compilation summary in order to show wich resources are used with memory option.

Is there another way to do it optimizing the FPGA resources? If you have any doubt or question about my problem feel free to ask. 

Thanks in advance.

Best regards, Igor.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,093 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author iul

http://ftp.ni.com/pub/gdc/tut/labview_high-perf_fpga_v1.1.pdf

Check out this document, it has loads of good advice.

And next time, post some code so that we can see what you're trying to do.  "best" is very subjective.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,073 Views)

Thank you for your reply,

I will check the documment that have attached in your response. In a first sight it seems that it could have a solution for my problem.

I will test it in my program.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,070 Views)