LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which LabVIEW components or services needed for Network Streams?

I am unable to stream Data through Network Stream without either turning off the Firewall or opening specific ports.  It is my understanding that you should not have to do either to use LV streams.  I discovered this thread after which I allowed the NI PSP Service Locator.  Still not connection without dropping the firewall. 

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Unable-to-stream-Data-through-Network-Streams/m-p/3731303/highlight...

I also discovered this link which is a list of Windows Services Installed By NI Software but the only relevant one seems to be llkads.exe (the PSP Locator Service)

http://www.ni.com/product-documentation/14487/en/

So I am wondering if there is some other service required for network streams that may have not been installed or configured properly?

^TeraTech.

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Check out this lengthy post of mostly complaints)
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,715 Views)

I'm on a mobile phone now but,  searching NI.COM for what services use what ports will show a white paper to give to IT

Www.ni.com/white-paper/12402/en/

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,693 Views)

@TeraTech wrote:

I am unable to stream Data through Network Stream without either turning off the Firewall or opening specific ports.  It is my understanding that you should not have to do either to use LV streams.

The ports of interest are already posted although it sounds like you're aware of them.

But, why would that be your understanding?  That's networking 101.  Your firewall is blocking network communication as you've told it to do.  If you want to allow specific traffic, you can open those ports to the application.  You know the ports.  You have successful communication when you open them.  Are you concerned that you're opening them for EVERYTHING or that you have to whitelist LV at all?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,684 Views)

@natasftw: Networking 101... 😕  Thanks for that. My question is about the LabVIEW install process and what it does in regards to the firewall during that process.

@Jeff: Thanks for the link. I did find it and neglected to include in my post.

Perhaps my question wasn't clear.  Of course if I manually open the ports specified the streaming works.  My question is that should the LabVIEW installation have opened those ports for you and/or allowed the necessary services through so that the end user does not have to manually open the ports specified in the link Www.ni.com/white-paper/12402/en/

I ask because I have read elsewhere in these forums, that people have made LV Network Streams work without having to manually open specific ports.

https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Unable-to-stream-Data-through-Network-Streams/m-p/3826678/highlight...

^TeraTech.

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Check out this lengthy post of mostly complaints)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,657 Views)

When you install LV there is a message displayed suggesting to shut off the firewall. That may explain why it works for some without having to mess with anything.

Just speculating...

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 5 of 5
(2,654 Views)