LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to place the .chm file for a VI's documentation?

Hi Suse,

that is a nice idea. But how could this be implemented. If I give my coworker a collection or library of several VIs must he run each of these VIs once so that it sets its HelpPath to the actual path? Or should I develop an initialization VI that scans the current path for VIs setting each VI's HelpPath to the current path? That seems to be cumbersome and nontransparent to me. Remember, these are SubVIs and the coworker should be able to see their complete documentation before he runs one of them.

For now I think I stick with the <helpdir>.

Regards

Matthias

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 12
(623 Views)

Mattias, 

This does seem to be a gap in the documentation features.

The best I've come up with is that you can use "..\" to specify the parent folder of the .vi. For example "..\Help.chm" would link to the help file in the parent directory. You can then build upon that, and use "..\Main\Help\Help.chm" for example.  

This unfortunately is only partial relief since these relative paths won't update if you move a .vi in your project's file tree. 

One could pretty easily write a .vi that would build this path string for any .vi and set this throughout the project any time you make file structure changes.

-D

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 12
(554 Views)