From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is the CIN code?

I'm trying to understand someone else's VI and they use a Code Interface Node (CIN). From what I understand, this is supposed to call some external (to the VI that I'm looking at) code. How do I find what is being called?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,952 Views)
That's not correct. In the majority of the cases, a CIN does not point to external code. When the CIN is built, it is then included in the VI and you cannot view the source.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,948 Views)
Why is it not visible.  If the source code is manually entered, then my company should own it, and I should be able to view it.  If it calls some compiled code from a 3rd party, then I should at least be able to get the function prototype and the library it came from.  I think it is code that communicates with some hardware that is plugged into the computer that is running the Labview VI that I'm trying to figure out (I've been assigned to make some modifications to the VI and the authors of the VI are not available for me to consult with).  Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,936 Views)

I have no idea why your company does not own the source code. You would have to look at the agreement between your company and the vendor. It's sort of like asking why you don't have the source code for Excel. Somewhere, someplace, they may have provided the C source code but without it, there is nothing you can do to modify it. When the CIN code is compiled, it is the compiled code that is loaded into the CIN(the Load Code Resource option when you right click) and there is no need for any external file.

A CIN is different than a Call Library Function Node where you are calling a dll. A dll is a library with function prototypes.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,927 Views)

I think we had a misunderstanding.

Since I don't see any evedence of source code, or any code (even a name, or description), for that matter, for this CIN (it is a CIN and not a Call Library Function Node) I was assuming it could have been written by someone else (possibly sold to us by another company with or without source code; if this were the case then there should at least be a description somewhere) and not available to me.

For this discussion let's assume that someone in my company wrote the VI and the CIN within the VI.  Shouldn't the source code be available for me to review and/or modify?  Is the source code just thrown away?

I guess I'll just try a test: Creat a VI with a CIN; write some simple source code; save it; then see if I can access the source code again, somehow.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,909 Views)

If the CIN was created by someone at your company, you would need to find out who created it, when it was created, and where the source code was saved. I would think you would be familiar with the storage of code developed internally. If it was internal, that process is one you have to find out. Once loaded, the source code can be deleted and though it would be a dumb idea, it has happened. The source code could have only existed on the original developer's pc. Once deleted or archived, the CIN alone is distributed. It's no different than any other code development if you are at all familiar with that.  

You also have no way to know whether the CIN was developed internally or by a third-party.

Also, your test is meaningless since you can always access the source code until you delete/archive it. Instead, create a CIN with the source code locally and give it to someone else. Assuming that there were no mistakes, see if the other user can find the source code. Unless you grant the other user access to your pc, how can it be found?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,905 Views)