From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where can I find Resolution Benchmarking.vi used in Tutorial 3778?

Where can I go to download the Resolution Benchmarking.vi program used in Tutorial # 3778 "Performing High-Accuracy Temperature Measurements Using a NI Digital Multimeter and Switch"?
Thank you,
Kevin Hanson
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,943 Views)

Hi Kevin,

We don't have that particular example posted. I'm checking to see if we made that example public but your best bet for now is to work off of the included pitcures. The VI's used are pretty straightforward - it's really just switching to ch0, reading, switching to the cjcChannel, reading and then scaling the voltage based on the Thermocouple.  Another VI that has very similar functionality (it uses scanning instead of single connections) would be the niSwitch Thermocouple Measurements.vi in example finder.

Cheers,

Andrew S.

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,924 Views)
Andrew,
Unfortunately the only picture of Resolution Benchmarking.vi is just the front panel and they don't show the block diagram.  The block diagrams in the tutorial are for maximizing the accuracy of thermocouple and RTD measurements as opposed to benchmarking the system resolution.  My system is actually an NI-4351 high precision data acquisition card and 10K ohm thermistors and I was hoping that either Resolution Benchmarking.vi would work with this system or could be modified to do so.
I'm not finding niSwitch Thermocouple Measurements.vi in my example finder, I'm using LabVIEW version 7.0.
Thanks for your help,
Kevin Hanson
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,912 Views)

Kevin,

That VI wouldn't apply to the 4351. A better resource for calculating your system accuracy is the NI 435X User Manual. The tables and examples on pages 53-58 are probably where you would want to get started.

Cheers,

Andrew S

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,896 Views)

Andrew:

Yes, I'm familiar with the NI-4351 specification tables and am up to speed with the accuracy calculations.  I do agree it's good to start by calculating the accuracy on paper first but then I was hoping to be able to measure the actual "effective resolution" like they do in the tutorial to make sure I've got my system configured correctly and to use as a benchmark to see if the system resolution drifts over time.

I was pretty sure I wouldn't be able to use Resolution Benchmarking.vi as is with the 4351 but mainly wanted to see the statistics used to calculate the Effective Resolution and the Signal Noise Error (statistics aren't my strong suit) and figured the code could be modified to take readings with the 4351 instrument.

Thanks again for any further help you can provide me,

Kevin Hanson

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,888 Views)
Hello Kevin,

I performed a quick search and found this example, which is somewhat related.  Again, this is written for a DMM, but you may be able to use the resolution analysis subVI's for your application.  I can't guarantee that this will work, but it's something you might want to take a look at. 

Best regards,
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,877 Views)