LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where can I find Geometry Invoke Node?

Hi everyone

I am trying to import or load an .stl format 3D image onto LabVIEW. I have found an example on how to do it and the link is https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-6033. I try to do the same thing on my VI. However, I cannot find the Geometry Invoke Node. So I searched on the forum see if anybody has the same problem and I found this thread http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/set-geometry-invoke-node-do-not-have-this-method-and-why-is-it/m-p/1.... According to this thread, I could use Drawable Invoke Node which is similar to Geometry Invoke Node. I tried Drawable Invoke Node, but I found that it does not show the .stl image on the 3D Picture function. 

Then I tried the VI that was attached to this link https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-6033, the Geometry Invoke Node was shown as red instead of creamy colour.Does this mean the Geometry Invoke Node is not working? I am use LabVIEW 2011 version 11.0. Do I need to buy a new module or upgrade to a new version to use Geometry Invoke Node? Could somebody help me please.

Thank you very much

Tommy 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,400 Views)

Hi Tommy,

Thanks for using the forums.

The "Set Geometry" node was indeed replaced by the "Set Drawable" node. I have just tested the VI in question with an example STL file and found the 3D object appears with no problems. What might have happened is the object was drawn, but you were unable to see it due to the camera configuration. If you stop the VI, right click the 3D Picture Control, scroll down the options to Camera Controller and click Flying. This will allow you to move the camera freely around the 3D environment. Zoom in and out when the VI is running by holding down shift and dragging the mouse, and look around by simply dragging the mouse by itself.

Kind Regards,

Message 2 of 5
(2,371 Views)

Hi Paul

Thank you very much for your reply. 

However I still have the problem to see the 3D image on the 3D picture function. I am trying to load a SolidWorks STL format file(.stl) using the the file path which is created by right clicking the Model File node on the Load STL Geometry function, and selecting create then control. Is it correct? 

I also try loading my .stl file on the example VI which I posted in the first thread.

Is it the problem that LabVIEW cannnot load/open or read .stl format file created by SolideWorks? 

Is it possible that if you could try to load the .stl file I created on your VI please. I have attached the .stl file to this thread

Thank you very much

Tommy Yip

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,351 Views)

Hi Tommy,

The process you describe for loading the STL file is correct, as shown by the example which you referred to in your initial post.

Upon downloading and opening your STL file myself, it appears that Solidworks has saved the STL in binary format which LabVIEW is unable to interpret through it's Load STL Geometry VI. Within Solidworks, you should have the option to export the model as an STL file in ASCII format, which will then work within LabVIEW.

I hope that helps.

Message 4 of 5
(2,342 Views)

Hi Paul:

Thank you very much for the help. I saved the file as binary, very stupid of me. Now I can load the file as ASCII. It works perfectly. 

Thank you very much

Tommy 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,336 Views)