From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where are cRIO username and password stored

I am using National Instruments Replication and Deployment utility (RAD Utility) with cRIO-9067 and cRIO-9074. I would like to blacklist username and password files, to prevent them being changed by image deployment. Does anyone know where the usernames and passwords are stored? Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,430 Views)

Hi sparkymark567,

If you retrieve an image from a controller that is password protected, deploying that image to a new target will automatically apply the image's password settings to that target. There shouldn't be any need to blacklist username/password files to ensure they're transferred during the image deployment.

Please make sure you are using the latest version of the RAD utlity and target is in a normal running mode when the image is taken. 

Have you experienced the passwords not being copied across? If so were there any specific error messages during the deployment?

Thanks,

Rebecca

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,358 Views)

I do not want usernames and passwords to be copied from the image to the target.

I would like to deploy the software without changing the target's username and password settings.

I think this probably the most common use case.

(There is also new legislation, in the UK, that stipulates internet connected devices should not be shipped with a common default password!).

Currently my update process is very tedious as I have over 30 cRIO systems to maintain.

I first have to change the target cRIO admin password to match the image; then after deployment I have to setup the usernames and passwords (i.e. multiple usernames and passwords) again. 

This is why I am looking to black list the username password settings. 

Please can you tell me, where is the file stored?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,348 Views)

Sparkymark567,

We only recommend blacklisting files under /home/webserv or /home/lvuser when using the RAD utility as blacklisting files in other directories can cause an error on deployment. The RAD Utility is commonly used for periodic backups, or cloning a developed system to many others. 

This functionality isn't available it the RAD Utility, but it is open source so you can edit the RAD Source Code (attached on the right) or use the NI System Configuration API (like the Get or Set Real-Time System Image.vi shipping example) to try and achieve this. You could also look at modifying the permissions/passwords through SSH. using a third party tool like PuTTY or SHH in LabVIEW programmatically.

If you'd like you can also post the request to add the feature onto the Ideas Exchange, or the forum for Replication and Deployment (RAD) Utility Modifications and Improvements

Thanks,

Rebecca

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,334 Views)

The NI Auth database unfortunately isn't a file that is included in the image, so it cannot simply be blacklisted.  There is a separate call that is made after the initial image has been created to add it to the image.

This is all done inside of the NI System Configuration API, so there isn't a change that can be made to RAD to work around it.  You will need to make a suggestion to the Ideas Exchange to add an option to the NI System Configuration API to omit the NI Auth database.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,305 Views)