LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When reading from csv file to table indicator unwanted symbols are displaying

Solved!
Go to solution

Actually I want to read a data from csv file and display to user when reading into table indicator unwanted symbols are displaying and same I rounded with black ink.

unwanted s1_LI.jpgunwanted s2.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(1,466 Views)

Unwanted characters are embedded in your files, post one of them as an example. Are the symbols always at the beginning of the file?

Paolo
-------------------
LV 7.1, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2021
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(1,451 Views)

@pincpanter wrote:

Unwanted characters are embedded in your files, post one of them as an example. Are the symbols always at the beginning of the file?

You're thinking it might be Unicode BOM?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(1,431 Views)

@billko  ha scritto:

@pincpanter wrote:

Yes. Probably UTF-8, otherwise the table display would be considerably funnier.

Paolo
-------------------
LV 7.1, 2011, 2017, 2019, 2021
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(1,428 Views)

@pincpanter wrote:

@billko  ha scritto:

@pincpanter wrote:

Yes. Probably UTF-8, otherwise the table display would be considerably funnier.

I know that sometimes Windows Notepad will add a BOM if it thinks one is needed.  I've seen where I opened up a text file in Notepad and after I closed it, it added the BOM without telling me it did or asking me to save it.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(1,418 Views)

TrimWhitespace will probably solve it, but you should check your .csv and/or how you write to it.

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(1,413 Views)

@Yamaeda wrote:

TrimWhitespace will probably solve it, but you should check your .csv and/or how you write to it.

I don't know if it would be considered "white space"

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(1,383 Views)

Yes at starting of the row

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(1,342 Views)
Solution
Accepted by M0han

Rename your file from csv to txt and open it in a text editor.

For example, notpad.exe offers you to save a file with or without Byte Order Mark.

Try "Save as" and in "Encoding", choose one without BOM. UTF-8 might work. Try ANSI if it does not.

LLindenbauer_0-1655818992675.png

Message 9 of 11
(1,324 Views)

We've just started putting this (or similar) on our code that opens text files:

Kyle97330_0-1655846532910.png

While you can make it so individual files or editors will not leave the mark by changing some program somewhere, guaranteeing that every user always does it is impossible.  It's much more practical to just get used to removing/ignoring it than it is to complain about it or try to get all text file users to reconfigure Notepad or whatever they use.

Message 10 of 11
(1,301 Views)