From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When Trying to Install Labview 8.6.1 on Windows 7 Get Error Code -12

When Trying to Install Labview Deveopment Suite 8.6.1 on Windows 7 Get " *** Error: Windows SDK Function Returned an Error (Error Code -12)"

I assume a compatability issue will Labview installer and Windows 7.  Is there a work arround?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 22
(19,062 Views)
Since Windows 7 is not offially released it's highly doubtful that you will be able to get help from NI. I've been using Windows 7 RC and my LabVIEW 8.2 installation went though without any issues. Which Windows 7 do you have? Have you tried running the installed in XP compatibility mode? Are you installing into the default directory? Do you have any other NI software installed?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 22
(19,050 Views)

I figured as much, but maybe if enough peole are interested NI will be pushed to a solution.

It's not that the programm won't run, it's that the installer fails before it even gets installed.

I am using Windows 7 RC Build 7100.  It installs and runs just fine in Virtual XP Mode on Virtual PC for windows 7 (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx) which I find works better than compatability mode.

Thanks for your help.

Message 3 of 22
(19,029 Views)

Windows 7 is not supported for NI products. I'm sure once it's released support will quickly follow.

Here's a KB on compatibility.

Jeff | LabVIEW Software Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 22
(19,026 Views)

I had the same problemWhen trying to install 8.6.1 on Windows 7, Build 7100.

Error Windows SDK function returned an error. (Error code -12).

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 22
(18,814 Views)

I got the same error message while installing labview from setup.exe.you can install labview 8.6 by going to the Distributions\LabVIEW 8.6\LabVIEW860 and install.

Now i have problem installing the drivers.Is there a way to install the drivers ?

Message 6 of 22
(18,779 Views)

Jeff,

Windows 7 is going to be officially released in a few months time, shortly after LV2009 release. Are we going to have to wait till next year before this new OS is "supported"?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 22
(18,764 Views)

That would be up to R&D. If it's not supported in LabVIEW 2009, it'll have to be some release after that. Sorry I can't be more helpful than that.

Just from scanning some other forum threads, it looks like it 'more or less' works. It's just not been tested with R&D because we don't have a final OS to test with. Chicken and egg thing and all that.

Jeff | LabVIEW Software Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 22
(18,728 Views)

Well, Microsoft are getting everone to beta test Win7 to make sure it does work with all kinds of software. Surely NI do not wait until a new OS has been formally released before they start testing (I am sure they don't...).

I suppose its just that my laptop is in need of a spring clean and XP is getting a bit dated now (and there is no point moving to Vista now).

Neil

Message 9 of 22
(18,715 Views)

Now that the Windows 7 RTM has been available for a while, is there any update on how to get LV and Win7 to play nice together?

Matt

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 22
(18,121 Views)