From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is unit of Period (dt) left terminal of a RT timed loop when using 1 MHz absolute clock?

Solved!
Go to solution

If I used the 1 MHz clock, the dt unit would be 1 us, however when I select the absolute 1 MHz clock the input terminal data type changes to a double and I can't find in the documentation a description of this clocks unit. Is it still 1 us or something else?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,642 Views)

Never mind....I found it. The dt unit is still the same unit as the relative clock source, only with the terminal data type changed (that change is what was throwing me off). The example below shows a loop configured with a 1 kHz absolute clock and a period of 2 seconds, with the dt terminal equal to 2000. 

Timed_Loop_Abs_Clock.png

Message 2 of 6
(2,610 Views)

Thank you for coming back and showing us the solution - and marking it as solved.  This is the ultimate expression of the goal of this forum; that is, to help one another.  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,601 Views)

Happy to pay it forward...I've found many a solution on the forums. They are a great resource because of the helpful attitude that persists.

Thanks for the Kudos!

Message 4 of 6
(2,595 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Pegasaur

I thought I'd found the solution but I was premature! It turns out the answer is more subtle and my intuition was right. The terminal data type change to DBL accompanies a change in the unit from the base clock unit to seconds. However if the input node is configured with the GUI, then the number reported in the dt terminal is still the number of ticks of the clocks base unit (period). Both loops below run at 2 sec loop rates, but the left is configured with a DBL input of 2 at the dt terminal, while the other was configured using the GUI and the 'dt' value reports 2000 ms (both use 1 kHz absolute clock).

Pegasaur_0-1583183751667.png

Message 5 of 6
(2,526 Views)

This smells like a bug to me.

The dialog box is 2000 ms (and the terminal saying dT is in blue but the triangle is orange).  While you right click on it and create a constant, which is orange, you need to enter 2 to give the same 2000 msec.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,516 Views)