LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the little square box in the string constant input?

Hello LabVIEW World -

I am attempting to understand a LabVIEW code that I did not write.  At one point, there is a string (Equal?) comparison that is comparing a string from a VISA Read to a string constant input.  The string constant has a little square box inside of it.

Does anyone know what this little square box is?  (See attached screenshot)

Thanks.

DS

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,628 Views)

This is an unprintable character. To see exactly which character it is right click on the string constant and set it to display in hex mode. Then you can lookup the specific character in an ASCII chart.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
Message 2 of 4
(2,622 Views)

Thanks for the quick reply, Mark.

I did what you suggested and I found the characters "06" which seems to be the symbol for "Acknowledgment"  .  I suppose that this makes sense because the comparison operator is checking to make sure that the VISA command was acknowledged (..so says the comment..). 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,613 Views)

When I place string constants like this I will display then either as hex or in the codes mode. Either of these will make the code more readable. Using the default ASCII string display is useless other than letting you know it is an unprintable character.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
Message 4 of 4
(2,605 Views)