From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best way to stream data from a C-Program to a LabVIEW VI?

Solved!
Go to solution

Dear Community,

I'm currently working on a project where I'm programming a device control with LabVIEW. A colleague of mine is programming some image analysis with C, where he calculates about 3 paramateres per image every ~30 ms.

Now we want to use these parameters in my VI.
So the idea was to continuously wirte the parameters with the C-Program to a file and simultaneously read from that file with my LabVIEW VI.

For performance reasons the C-Program and LabVIEW VI are running on two different PCs.

My first idea was to use a TDMS file in a shared directory. But after my first tries with TDMS I have some doubts if this is the best solution, because I had some trouble while testing with an .exe to write some TDMS files and simultaneously reading it.
So I just want to ask if you guys know a better solution for our problem?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,132 Views)

I don't think using files is going to be the best way to go here.

I think you probably want to use something like a Network Shared Variable.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,120 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author s_bohn

Is there a C interface for shared variables?

TCP is a very good option. STM provides a good template to follow for an implementation. There's even a C client

Message 3 of 6
(3,109 Views)

@nanocyte wrote:

Is there a C interface for shared variables?

According to the whitepaper that I linked:

"In addition, with the Network Variable Library introducted in NI LabWindows/CVI 8.1 and NI Measurement Studio 8.1, you can read and write to shared variables in ANSI C, Visual Basic .NET or Visual C#."

I haven't used the ANSI C interface to Measurement Studio myself. Should be pretty straightforward though.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,103 Views)

As a possible way to make it simpler, you could use LabVIEW to build a DLL that accesses the shared variable instead of making your C programmer wade through a new API.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,092 Views)

Thank you all guys,

I think just using TCP will be the best solution for me.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,023 Views)