LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best way to create and load configuration files in labview 17?

I have my main VI completed. What I want to do now is create different config files for the different things it can test. I've tried looking around for help, but haven't had much luck. I found an old topic talking about using Configuration File VIs. The other option I found was using OpenG to do it. Just wondering what the best way to do it now is. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,322 Views)

Configuration files still is a valid option to load settings for eg. a test. Other options that come to my mind include XML, databases, csv-files etc. etc. - choose what you like or what best fits your requirements.

Regards, Jens

Kudos are welcome...
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,306 Views)

As was already stated, it depends on your requirements.  Personally, I like to use tab delimited text files for most of my configurable test configurations.  These also tend to be sweeps of some sort.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,296 Views)

The configuration files works well, but requires a lot of hand-on to get to work. XML is really simple to use though somewhat clunky if you need to look/change it manually. If you want max performance and the clusters and stuff is fixed, as it's a sensitive version, then binary files are good.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,291 Views)

Thanks for your inputs. I decided to go with the configuration VIs, as it makes the actual configuration file very simple to read. I have one more question related to this. How can you create a control to a partial file path? I'd like to be able to open to a folder that contains the different config files. I tried making a test folder and linking to that, but it gave me an incorrect file type error. Never mind found an option in the preferences that allowed my to change the path and have it open the folder.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,266 Views)