LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is stopping you from switching to LabVIEW NXG? - VI server

Solved!
Go to solution

I would try using LV NXG for small apps if and when certain UI front panel capabilities arrive:

• controls as customizable as in LV CG
  • panel colors, decorations, and pasted images as flexible as in CG, including layer order changeability
  • panel resizing (with corresponding controls and fonts resizing) at least as good as in CG but preferably much better and more reliable.

It's been a couple of years since I last tried NXG.  I'm sure it has improved in these UI areas.  Do we know how far off robust panel resizing is?

Thanks.

Joe Czapski, Principal Test Engineer, SpectraWAVE, Bedford, Mass.
0 Kudos
Message 51 of 91
(2,349 Views)

@Station5 wrote:

It's been a couple of years since I last tried NXG.  I'm sure it has improved in these UI areas.  Do we know how far off robust panel resizing is?

Not sure what the status of robust panel resizing is in NXG, but in CG it isn't there at all 😊.

0 Kudos
Message 52 of 91
(2,312 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author TroyK

I have a new reason: LabVIEW NXG is going away.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 53 of 91
(2,106 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

I have a new reason: LabVIEW NXG is going away.

That's a showstopper for me too.

0 Kudos
Message 54 of 91
(2,088 Views)

I always kind of wondered what NI's plans were for NXG.

I mean expecting people to abandon a product that has a 20+ year track record for something that looks pretty but had no other real benefit over the original.

I was still waiting for a reason to even try NXG and now I see that that was never going to happen. I am glad I didn't' waste my time.

Give us a more "modern looking" control set or a "Skinning engine" that makes it simple to change the style, colors, etc. of all the controls and indicators at once.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 55 of 91
(2,078 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

I don't think this was the plan 😉.

0 Kudos
Message 56 of 91
(2,061 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

@RTSLVU wrote:

Actually never had the chance to use NXG. But this is kind of worrisome. Either NI does not have the resources to properly develop NXG or is less interested in software and more interested in hardware. Does not make me feel real confident in using LabVIEW as a development tool as its future seems in doubt.

mcduff

0 Kudos
Message 57 of 91
(2,030 Views)

@mcduff wrote:

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

@RTSLVU wrote:

Actually never had the chance to use NXG. But this is kind of worrisome. Either NI does not have the resources to properly develop NXG or is less interested in software and more interested in hardware. Does not make me feel real confident in using LabVIEW as a development tool as its future seems in doubt.

mcduff

They were contemplating stopping meaningful development of LV Classic, meaning that nothing new would be developed in LV Classic that wasn't already planned in NXG.  Rather than contemplating the end of LabVIEW, I see it as freeing LV Classic of its ties to NXG.  It will (re?)absorb NXG and move on.

I was okay with NXG's rough implementation; I could develop a new workflow for that.  I also liked the new look and the layout of the IDE.  Having no virtual libraries hurt somewhat, but I got over it.  But there were design choices that made it impossible for me to develop a workaround for.  That is when I ceased playing with NXG.  For anything even moderately complex, I had no solution.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 58 of 91
(2,008 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

I mean expecting people to abandon a product that has a 20+ year track record for something that looks pretty but had no other real benefit over the original.

Well, some of us thought the same about DAQmx when it first came out. Why go with something totally different when what you have works? Now I would ask why not DAQmx. I think that NI was trying to make a change for the better, and I like some of what I saw with NXG (I have only briefly played with it), but in the end I think the slow roll of the features of LabVIEW and the unfamiliar icons have kept its acceptance low.

0 Kudos
Message 59 of 91
(2,007 Views)

@mcduff wrote:

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

@RTSLVU wrote:

mcduff

Maybe they simply rebalanced the pros and cons. Maybe the adaptation was disappointing. Lots of maybes...

I wouldn't want them to continue developing something when they know it's not going to work... They might have that insight. I'm sure many users where skeptical and where not shy about it.

It doesn't have to be bad, but I sure don't consider all positive.

0 Kudos
Message 60 of 91
(2,003 Views)