cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is stopping you from switching to LabVIEW NXG? - VI server

Solved!
Go to solution

@TroyK wrote:

What is preventing you from moving to NXG?

I wonder, if NI will provide an equivalent to the picture control toolkit in future NXG versions, or if they will drop it.

1.PNG

0.PNG

it looks like, the Vision Toolkit will be continued:

3.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 31 of 91
(1,366 Views)

@alexderjuengere wrote:

@TroyK wrote:

What is preventing you from moving to NXG?

I wonder, if NI will provide an equivalent to the picture control toolkit in future NXG versions, or if they will drop it.

They have gathered user stories (from me 😁). It is on the backlog. Somewhere.

I didn't hesitate to tell them about the graph images. These have been lifesavers for me on multiple occasions.

I'm not sure if it will be a 1-1 replacement (and I'm not sure if I want it to be a 1-1 replacement). I'm sure there will be a 'canvas' control\indicator of some sort.

Message 32 of 91
(1,358 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

Without spending more than a few hours in NXG 2.0 (that didn't even support classes, IIRC), I could make a parent class, two children implementing different functions and a composite child in 15 minutes. That is comparable with CG: I did not need to learn a new language.

Go to a try out hands-on session, with an open mind. It might surprise you.

I can't use NXG for project, and converting CG code is even further away (and might never happen). But I'm sure there is a point (in the near future, 1-3 years at most) where I will switch. Because I want to, not because I have to.

I didn't mean to be dismissive of NXG as a whole. I'm excited to see where it goes. And when I said "a parallel language" I assumed it was more different under the hood than it apparently is. I meant to say that NI wouldn't do such a massive development overhaul if they didn't think it was worth it.

I'm excited to see where it goes, and like you I'll probably switch in 2-3 years. I'm just not switching *right now* because I unfortunately don't have the time to get fully up to speed on NXG if it doesn't support all of the stuff I need it to right now.

I'd also love to try a hands on session but that would require travel to somewhere that offered it as there's basically zero LabVIEW in my neck of the woods. Unfortunately work won't pay for it (I'm not even a full-time LabVIEW dev, it's just part of my responsibilities), and I'm not excited enough about it to spend PTO on it 😉 I do read up what I can on the forums and in announcements, but something like NI Week is out of the question for me personally from a budgetary point of view.

Thanks for pointing out some of the new stuff. It does sound good, and like I said, I'm probably just not seeing enough promo material to help me understand what the new stuff will bring to the table.

0 Kudos
Message 33 of 91
(1,344 Views)

I think I heard, through inference, that NXG pro will have a community version also?  If that is true, then I could actually afford to experiment some.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 34 of 91
(1,331 Views)

@billko wrote:

I think I heard, through inference, that NXG pro will have a community version also?  If that is true, then I could actually afford to experiment some.

This is the first I've heard about that.  But if you want some real basic NXG, you can get DAQExpress.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 35 of 91
(1,319 Views)

Actually, I guess it was more than "inference".  LabVIEW Community Edition  - Under "What exactly is this new edition?"

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 36 of 91
(1,311 Views)

@billko wrote:

"A LabVIEW NXG license is included with any LabVIEW purchase. The LabVIEW NXG edition will match LabVIEW's. Refer to Related Links for additional information."

according to:

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z0000019RT2SAM&l=de-DE

0 Kudos
Message 37 of 91
(1,303 Views)

I think the reason why it wasn't just assumed to be included was because this new license is truly uncharted waters.  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Message 38 of 91
(1,293 Views)

I have a couple of reasons for not switching to NXG. The first is mainly about support and cost. I have worked for a couple of big companies over the last few years who use various versions of LabVIEW, from version 2010 upwards. Most of these companies are not willing to buy later versions of LabVIEW, but they do want all of there existing code supported. Because of this I don't really want to update any of my code to a point where it can't be easily used in all versions of LabVIEW. These companies will keep older PCs running for as long as possible during the life cycle of products but they will never get budget approval to rewrite older test code.

The other problem for me is platform, whether a Linux/Mac version of NXG will ever appear. I have developed a lot of code on Mac and Linux machines, and writing utilities that I can run on Mac/Linux and Windows is quite important to me. The company I am currently working produces mainly Linux based products, and the entire product software team use Linux. I have a bit of a fight keeping LabVIEW going, the software team would prefer me to use Python.

Message 39 of 91
(1,247 Views)

@antony.g wrote:

Most of these companies are not willing to buy later versions of LabVIEW, but they do want all of there existing code supported. Because of this I don't really want to update any of my code to a point where it can't be easily used in all versions of LabVIEW. 

CG doesn't exactly make it easy to use code in all versions of LabVIEW.

NXG might (we'll have to wait and see) provide a *much* better version experience. The xml files and the modularity (native functions seem to be separated from the IDE) might enable easier forward and backward version compatibility.

Again, we'll have to wait and see, but if this is important, in time it will be very interesting to actually make the switch.

Of course if you have to support a 20 year old version in the original version, you'll never be allowed to switch. But if (when?) NXG becomes mature enough, switching could mean less headaches in the future.

0 Kudos
Message 40 of 91
(1,243 Views)