LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is stopping you from switching to LabVIEW NXG? - VI server

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm curious to know how many people who have been using LabVIEW for a while would like to switch to NXG but can't because something they need isn't supported yet.

I've been developing applications in LabVIEW for over 15 years.  I would love to switch to NXG but I can't because my main, actively developed, applications rely heavily on VI server running parallel processes (or daemons).

Until this is fully supported there's no chance for me to switch.  Unfortunately I can't tell from the LabVIEW NXG roadmap how long it will be before it is adequately supported.

Am I wrong? Will it work? Where can I find more detailed information about NXG VI server capabilities?  All the software capability chart for NXG 3.1 says is Partial: "LabVIEW NXG provides VI execution control-asynchronous calling."

2019-07-09_10h35_25.pngWhat does that mean?

Am I alone in this?  What is preventing you from moving to NXG?

Troy - CLD "If a hammer is the only tool you have, everything starts to look like a nail." ~ Maslow/Kaplan - Law of the instrument
Message 1 of 91
(6,873 Views)

@TroyK wrote:

Am I alone in this?  What is preventing you from moving to NXG?

Of course you're not alone. I think even NI doesn't call it finished yet. 

What's preventing me (in no particular order):

+ (Intensity) Graphs couldn't hide there scales.

+ No Picture control functionality.

+ No 3D functionality.

+ No Picture control overlays in graphs\charts.

+ No SubPanels (I think that's fixed).

+ No\limited VI Server.

+ #1: That silly 'tunnel view', where 60% of my screen is used my information, where my code used to be Smiley Frustrated.

+ CG isn't broken \ no immediate reason Smiley Very Happy.

The progress on NXG is very impressive though. (Just what to stress that)

I can see a -not so far- future where it will be competitive. I especially see NXG pass CG soon in:

+ UI development (custom controls, Unicode support)

+ web (related) development (webVIs)

+ IDE customization (plug-ins).

Message 2 of 91
(6,817 Views)

I'm right there with both you guys, so many things unavailable still its not usable when you template/reuse much code.  Code conversion is still not there since so many things with VI server, dynamic processes, actor framework, subpanels, splitters, events that are missing it can't be used for conversions or new development unless I'm going without these things, which I wouldn't in my level of apps.  Agree with all your areas as well mentioned that are still missing.  Its 10 years backwards to me, let along the new IDE environment being much slower, less short cuts, missing features like text search, projects being so different its all slower and less capable.  Some new areas look great and some new things like webVIs are nice to see here, but I've been doing webVIs with labview and websockets for years now, I don't need to do them in LabVIEW really, its not any faster and likely won't ever be.  

Message 3 of 91
(6,713 Views)

Only one (maybe two) years ago, NXG was 20 yeas behind. Not sure how this will interpolate into the future. I would not be surprised if in another two years it's 0-1 years behind.

I am sure that we'll lose some things forever (wires with names, units). And some things will changes beyond recognition (scripting, hopefully. The IDE, sadly). There are also pretty important gains. Not in the least NIs confidence in the source code for the future.

Next years will be interesting for sure!

Message 4 of 91
(6,658 Views)

Two things for me:

1) I hate MDI applications that want me to have all their documents in one single window. Yes you can undock LabVIEW panels, just as you can undock views in Visual Studio, which helps it a little but still it feels seriously constrained and as others pointed out it tends to cover half of my VERY valueable screen space with things I don't want to see all the time.

2) Still limited support for things like realtime and FPGA development which is an absolute must for use in our projects. Without cRIO support we can abandon quite a few projects more or less completely and/or have to go to alternative platforms like Beckhoff and TwinCAT. Not my first choice if I have a choice but definitely an option.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 5 of 91
(6,632 Views)

I have been testing NXG for about a month. Agree with most of the items listed items above. One aspect I think it’s really bad is documentation, poor and web dependent. Every new F1, a new window it’s opened. If I select an element and press F1 it opens the general web page help window. No local integrated help not even as an option. This is very important for systems that nave no Internet connection. I installed the local help, but it’s not integrated neither integrable (redirect NXG help requests to the local help app) according to NI guys.

I miss the Captions. When I need a long name in the FP but a concise one in the BD, Captions do a great job. Some NXG are awfully horizontally large because some Labels are too big to BD, but necessary to FP. This reduces also readability.

I favor of NXG an extensive set of examples.

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - CLD
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
Message 6 of 91
(6,465 Views)

No support for any of my instruments so NXG is useless to me

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Message 7 of 91
(6,451 Views)

@Manzolli wrote:

I have been testing NXG for about a month. Agree with most of the items listed items above. One aspect I think it’s really bad is documentation, poor and web dependent. Every new F1, a new window it’s opened. If I select an element and press F1 it opens the general web page help window. No local integrated help not even as an option. This is very important for systems that nave no Internet connection. I installed the local help, but it’s not integrated neither integrable (redirect NXG help requests to the local help app) according to NI guys.

I miss the Captions. When I need a long name in the FP but a concise one in the BD, Captions do a great job. Some NXG are awfully horizontally large because some Labels are too big to BD, but necessary to FP. This reduces also readability.

See this topic for muddy clarity.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 8 of 91
(6,433 Views)

@billko  escreveu:

@Manzolli wrote:

See this topic for muddy clarity.

Confusing, but better for localization, but worse for every other use. Thanks Bill.

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - CLD
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 91
(6,302 Views)

Realtime support.

I don't have to look any further, as long as real time is not supported.

Message 10 of 91
(5,963 Views)