From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is causing my Modified niGPS Direct Streaming generation vi to lock up?

I have been trying to modify the niGPS Direct streaming vi.  I want to be able to change the location on the fly without stopping/starting the vi again.  However, when I run it, it locks up or crashes.  What would cause this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(3,409 Views)

Hi donald1234,

Your VI does not lock up or crash on my end.  I believe you modified the community example found here. Are you able to run this community example without it locking up or crashing? Can you provide a screenshot of the front panel, when it locks up? Also what USRP and version of LabVIEW are you using?

Regards,

Tunde S.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(3,374 Views)

Please see attached file. 

I'm using a USRP -2920 and labview 2013.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(3,355 Views)

donald1234,

I have a few questions for you:

1. Have you submitted the crash report to National Instruments using the crash reporter?

2. Have you tried using highlight execution to determine where in the function in crashes?

3. Were you able to run the example without having a crash?

4. If you haven't reported the crash, do you think you could follow the instructions laid out in the following support article? It would be helpful to see your crash report.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/7E9EBE4CA3B6DCE786257633005E7121

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(3,333 Views)

Hello,

The application runs well most of the time.  So I haven't been able to track down what causes the crash.  One of the times it happened, a screen asked if I wanted to send the information to NI, which I allowed it to do.  I have attached a zip file of the last time it crashed.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(3,309 Views)

donald1234,

Thanks for the reply. I received your dump file and have begun examining it. I am going to need a few more crash reports just to see if there are any unique identifiers that may link to something within our system.

If you could replicate the crash in as many different ways as possible. I know you do not know exactly what is causing the crash, but maybe change file locations, click controls at different times, whatever you can think of to change the dynamics of the program as it is running and crashing.

This way we can have more error logs to look through and help you with this issue.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(3,287 Views)

Ihavebeenabletocauseitacoupleofmoretimes.Seeattachedfiles.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(3,277 Views)

donald1234,

In cases like this it is not entirely simple to track down root cause. Crashes are hard to pinpoint especially in large applications using multiple pieces. I do have a bit of follow-up activities that I will need from you in order to proceed.

1. Start from the example again - does that work properly?

2. If that works, start slowly adding the custom additions that you placed, testing at each step. We are trying to pinpoint what is causing the problem here.

3. If you end up getting to the same spot, can you try and disabling (removing) the GPS functions from the applications and keep the File I/O? Additionally, are all your File references (or any other references) closed once you are done with them?

Let me know if you run into any trouble or have questions with these steps. I want to figure this out with you! Just need a bit more information to go on.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(3,242 Views)

The example works fine, as does mine (most of the time).  Seems like the only thing that causes the issue is me adding code for new coordinates while the application is running.  I tried removing the GPS function and the application errors out immediately without it.  All files are closed properly when I exit the program, but when it locks up, the files are still open.  Is it possible the gps function can't keep up with on the file changes?  the changes are big (across country)?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(3,200 Views)

donald1234,

When you're saying "application errors out," is it producing an error message or are you referring to the crash? If you're getting an error please provide the exact error message. Provide a screenshot if possible.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(3,192 Views)