LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is causing a name collision on building my VI?

I'm trying to compile my first VI, which is essentially a "Timed Loop" running at a set frequency using a hardware counter for a timing source.  Unfortunately, it's throwing the following error during the build:

"A name collision occurred during the build.  VIs were renamed to protect the build.  If any dynamic calls were made to the following VI, unexpected behavior can occur:

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.0\vi.lib\Platform\TimedLoop\ConfigExtNode.llb\loadlvalarms.vi"

When I try to run the compiled executable, it asks me for the location of loadlvalarms.vi.  If I find it in the folder of the build and select it, the program doesn't really do anything.  If I pretend that II can't find it andI click ok it says that it cannot create the timing source for my timed loop.  Any ideas?

Thanks
Matt
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 33
(3,926 Views)
One quick thing to check: do you have a VI in your source code that has the same name as "loadlvalarms.vi"?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 33
(3,889 Views)
I can't find any VIs with the name 'lvalarms.vi' in my file.  I'm not sure where this is appearing from, but it looks like it's somehow tied to the timed loop.  I attached my VI if that helps at all.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 33
(3,880 Views)
Digging through the Create Timing Source VI, I found a call that says "this VI ensures that the lvalarms dll is loaded" and it is simply called 'lvalarms.vi'.  I can't access this VI's block diagram, as it asks for a password.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 33
(3,878 Views)
I opened up your VI but found a missing subVI called "Date Time Source". I simply deleted the VI and wired the string control to the String to Path function and I was able to build it into an application with no errors. Since I don't have the hardware I can't run it to see if no errors occur when trying to run it. So, I'm not quite sure what's going on.

Aside: Your block diagram is way too big and it's nigh impossible to figure out what's going on. You should keep block diagrams to fit within a window.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 33
(3,872 Views)
The Date/Time VI is just something I threw together to output a timestamp in the filename to give each file a unique name.  Removing it didn't allow me to compile.

The error occurs regardless of the type of the external timing source.  If I remove the external timing source and configure the input node of the timing loop to run using its 'Built-in Timer', then the program compiles fine and runs pretty well at 1 kHz.  However, if I want to run at frequencies greater than 1 kHz (which I have done successfully using an external timing source), I can't use this method.  1 kHz is probably fast enough for my application, but now I'm curious why this error is occurring when I compile but not when you do it.  Is it possible that there is some conflict occurring because I have LV 7.1 and 8.0 on this computer?

Thanks
Matt
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 33
(3,859 Views)
That's unlikely since I also have both 7.1 and 8.0 on my computer. Actually, I have 8.0.1, but I don't think that would make a difference.

You've probably done this already, but perhaps creating a new build from scratch?

If somebody from NI is listening they may be able to provide an idea of what's going on. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 33
(3,848 Views)
I tried creating a new project and building from scratch, but I get the same problem.  I've moved the equipment to the computer I'll actually be running the software on and it's running pretty choppy now.  I really need to be able to run the loop on a hardware timer.  Thanks for your efforts smercurio.  Hopefully someone else has experienced this problem and can point me in the right direction.

Matt
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 33
(3,837 Views)
What helped for me was replacing the file:
C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.0\vi.lib\Platform\TimedLoop\ConfigExtNode.llb\loadlvalarms.vi
with:
C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.0\vi.lib\Platform\TimedLoop\XDataNode\loadlvalarms.vi

make a backup of C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 8.0\vi.lib\Platform\TimedLoop\ConfigExtNode.llb\loadlvalarms.vi first

NacNud
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 33
(3,794 Views)

Hello,

I have the same problem of duplicate name concerning loadlvalarms.vi, that produces a warning during the build.

This did not bother me so much as the build process ended fine, until this week as it produces now an error !

Replacing the file as NacNud suggested works to remove the warning, but my exe file can not be generated. I got the very annoying message : "Error 1003 occurred at ABAPI Dist Chg and Save VIs.vi -> ABAPI Dist Build LLB Image.vi -> ABAPI Copy Files and Apply Settings.vi -> RTBEP_Invoke_Build_Engine.vi -> RTBUIP_Build_Invoke.vi -> RTBUIP_Build_Invoke.vi.ProxyCaller

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW:  The VI is not executable."

Any idea how to fix that ? Please note that the application works fine when used as non-exe file. In other words, my main VI is executable...

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 33
(3,758 Views)