LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens if a test dies and I have a TDMS file open?

Let's say I have a long test running where I'm saving data at tintervals during the test to a TDMS file. I open the file before the test and close it after the test completes. What happens to the data if something traumatic happens before I have a chance to close the file? Will the data saved up to that point be OK and retrievable?

George
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,384 Views)
Hello George,

We at National Instruments highly recommend that you save your data to disk as often as possible to avoid data loss in the event of a crash.  After the data has been saved to disk, it should be retrievable.

Have a great weekend,

Janell Rodriguez | Applications Engineer | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,359 Views)
To be on the safe side, you can use the TDMS Flush function. If your application crashes, your machine looses power, or something else kills the process while your app is running, the OS will close the file and all data that hasn't been flushed yet is lost. In case your application terminates due to an error, but doesn't crash or hang (in other words: the VI stops running with or without having executed TDMS Close), all open TDMS files will be closed properly with no data loss.

Regards,
Herbert
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,298 Views)