From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens if I don't renew my SSP?

Solved!
Go to solution

Why should we pay for software we do not need? Why don't they just drop the stuff nobody is buying instead of forcing us to buy it in hopes we will use it?

Hi RTSLVU,

The option to just purchase LabVIEW is not going away.  The bundles are just an additional an option to get NI's most popular software at an even further discount.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 14
(1,002 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

WOW this sucks! We use LabVIEW Professional but have no need for Teststand or any of the other stuff they are selling.

Why should we pay for software we do not need? Why don't they just drop the stuff nobody is buying instead of forcing us to buy it in hopes we will use it?

This may be the end of LabVIEW for our company!

From the FAQ:

"Can I purchase individual software licenses, such as LabVIEW, as a stand-alone subscription, or will it have to be part of a bundle?

Individual products will be available as stand-alone subscriptions, but we expect many users to prefer the Test Workflow bundle for the added benefits mentioned above."

Message 12 of 14
(998 Views)

@BertMcMahan wrote:

Individual products will be available as stand-alone subscriptions, but we expect many users to prefer the Test Workflow bundle for the added benefits mentioned above."

Yes, I see that now....

I guess we all have to help NI pay for its latest acquisition...

NH Research Accelerates Growth with NI Acquisition

We are pleased to inform you that NH Research has been acquired by NI (NASDAQ: NATI), a well-recognized industry leader formerly known as National Instruments. NHR is very excited to be a part of the NI family which will further advance our mission of enabling electrification. We are delighted to share what this news means for our customers: Continuity, Growth and Better Solutions.

Continuity - Business continuity for NHR customers is our top priority. Our roadmap and customer commitments remain unchanged. We continue to operate as a wholly owned subsidiary as we collaborate with NI to deliver additional value and business impact to our customers.

Growth - This investment will allow NHR business to scale with new capabilities and enhance our presence around the globe. Moving forward we will scale the business by adding more resources where our customers need us most to ensure value realization and customer success. This includes enhanced product innovation; faster lead times and response times; increased support; and additional training resources and service offerings.

Better Solutions - NI plus NHR equals more value and faster time to market for our customers. The investment and collaboration with NI will allow NHR to offer more open and more complete electrification solutions. NI’s expanded software connected capabilities take our test solutions to the next level. The complementary nature of NI’s priorities of innovation and meeting customer needs will further fast-track NHR’s continued growth and leadership across automotive, aerospace and defense, energy storage and renewable energy markets.

As your partner in test, we look forward to bringing you more value and enabling your success!

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 14
(978 Views)

@billko wrote:

@AaronTeitlebaum wrote:

I just today received an email from NI announcing that they're switching to a subscription-based licensing model, which basically means that if you buy a subscription and then let it expire, the software will stop working. This is different from what used to happen if you let your SSP expire, which would cut you off from new versions and support, but the software would work indefinitely. They have a FAQ page here: https://www.ni.com/en-us/landing/subscription-software.html

This is pretty ugly if you are planning on installing a new version of LV in '22.  I guess they want to chase away the final loyal customers.  Another thought.  Now everyone will have to go through the same special hell that was, until now, reserved for LV Community Edition users.

Yes... almost seems like it, doesn't it? I don't really take issue with the recurring cost since we pay our SSP every year anyway, but this is concerning:

"For your first subscription term, your new price will be the same as your SSP renewal would have been, and you can lock in that price for up to three years."

And after that? If there are no renewal discounts, then the publicly listed subscription prices look to me like a massive price increase. (That I can't really see any additional value in.)

@billko wrote:

You also lose access to the free online courses.  This includes any certificates that you might have.  (It doesn't invalidate them, you just can't look at them any more.)

Seriously? That's annoying and dumb... but sadly not surprising.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 14
(940 Views)