From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does Timeout (x 3) mean in the Event Inspector log?

Solved!
Go to solution

I am using Event Inspector.  I have "Log Timeout Events" checked.  When my event structure times out it throws a line in the event log similar to this "7199    1    73267094    00000000    Timeout    -    ".  Ok,  that I understand.   However, the event log line occasionally has an (x2) or (x3) suffiix, as follows "7206    1    73267166    00000000    Timeout (x 3)    -    ".  What does the X-number represent? There is nothing in LV help.  It seems to mean that the timeout events are queued up.  The longer I leave my vi running, the the X-number slowly gets larger.

^TeraTech.

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Check out this lengthy post of mostly complaints)
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,491 Views)

As far as I understand it, you are correct in your explanation.

Lindsey Nestor
Program Manager, Hardware Services
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,445 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author TeraTech

To me this would indicate that some of your event cases take longer that the timeout period to complete. What is your timeout and what types of code do you have in your other event cases? Could some other parts of your system be starving the CPU so your code is unable to service the timeout events?

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
Message 3 of 7
(2,442 Views)

Thanks for confirming the X# notation. Will investigate further. 

^TeraTech.

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Check out this lengthy post of mostly complaints)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,419 Views)

Are you sure your timeout events are queuing?

It is my understanding a timeout starts when "nothing occurs" and will complete its action if nothing occurs for the full timeout value. If an event occurs before a timeout event completes, then the timeout clock is reset and starts anew.

I made a simple vi, attached, that has a timeout of 100ms. In one event case I put a wait for 500ms. If I look at the Event Inspector Window I do not see x2, x3,x4,x5, etc. In my simple example no timeout events are being queued; it does not make sense to me that timeout events would queue up.

mcduff

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,411 Views)

@mcduff wrote:

Are you sure your timeout events are queuing?

It is my understanding a timeout starts when "nothing occurs" and will complete its action if nothing occurs for the full timeout value. If an event occurs before a timeout event completes, then the timeout clock is reset and starts anew.

I made a simple vi, attached, that has a timeout of 100ms. In one event case I put a wait for 500ms. If I look at the Event Inspector Window I do not see x2, x3,x4,x5, etc. In my simple example no timeout events are being queued; it does not make sense to me that timeout events would queue up.

mcduff

This was why I also asked what other parts of his code were doing and if it was possible that something was starving the CPU. I could easily see short timeouts getting queued if you had a subVI set to high priority with a loop with no Wait in it that takes some time to complete.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
Message 6 of 7
(2,408 Views)

Just tested this with greedy loops, and a short timeout, and got one x 2, so I guess that is the case.

mcduffSnap31.png

Message 7 of 7
(2,405 Views)