LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the output connectors for on a .NET constructor node?

Solved!
Go to solution

Here is ab example of one of the .NET constructor nodes in my program.

TimBlaisdell_0-1634586324410.png

This constructor is for a class called LDAQEvent, and as you can see it takes several input parameters like name, purge, etc.

So far so good, but for each input parameter, on the right side of the constructor node is a connector.  When you mouse over the connector, it indicates that it is an output of the corresponding input.  For example, when you mouse over the connector on the left of the "name" parameter, it says "String name".  Also, when you mouse over the connector on the right of the "name" parameter, it also says "String name".

The implication is that these are pass-thru outputs so that you can have a wire come out of the constructor and pass these values elsewhere, but it doesn't work.  If you wire those connectors to ANYTHING it will be a broken wire.  You cannot right-click on the connectors and create an indicator.  There appears to be nothing you can do with those connectors. 

What are they for?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(785 Views)

Some arguments will have a black triangle on the right side as well, which indicates you can wire it out. I don't know what determines this or if the data is passed through or changed.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(756 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author TimBlaisdell

My guess would be that this is a bug (although basically a cosmetic one). I never actually noticed this myself, because I don't tend to look at the outputs unless the triangle is there.

A long time ago (~7.x) LV did support pass-through on all params in .NET constructors. That was later removed, as this was something that should be defined by the class. My guess would be that this is some residual code from that behavior which NI failed to remove.

(718 Views)