LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What am I doing wrong with my scaling?

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm converting 2 - 10VDC to a range of 0 - 200. I have a USB-6001 device and am using DAQmx VI's. I have tried making both the linear and the map custom scales but for some reason it's always about double what I should be getting. When it's receiving around 2.24 Volts I should be showing 3.5. But it's giving me 6.5.

Maybe I'm just too hungry but I'm really drawing a blank on this one. See attached files

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(1,521 Views)

I can't open your block diagram.  It seems to be corrupt.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(1,503 Views)
Solution
Accepted by David99999

The scaling is right, your expectations are wrong.

Just estimating in my head I see that 2.24V moves you about 1/4 V into your 8V input range (2-10V), so a little less than 1 part in 32.  Mapping to 1/32 of a 0-200 range says that 6.5 seems about right.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
Message 3 of 8
(1,500 Views)

Hi David,

@David99999 wrote:

When it's receiving around 2.24 Volts I should be showing 3.5. But it's giving me 6.5.

The "linear scale" image also shows the resulting formula!

Did you apply that very simple math on your voltage reading?

formula: Y= 25*X -50
X=2.24 -> Y=6

Why do you expect a value of 3.5?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 4 of 8
(1,443 Views)
Solution
Accepted by David99999

Well, I'm expecting a value of 3.5 because I'm converting 4-20mA to workable voltage for the DAQ. I'm using a 500Ω resistor to do so. The power supply is outputting 3.5 amps, and I had about 2.24V across the resistor.

Anddddddddd I just realized after typing that out what the issue is. I'm trying to scale it 0-200 Amps, but the jumper is removed so the range is actually 0-50 Amps. Woops. Thanks guys!

ct.png

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(1,420 Views)

Don't forget to give yourself the credit for the solution, and kudos to those who helped you get there!  🙂

(You can have more than one solution.)

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 6 of 8
(1,404 Views)

Sorry to nitpick, but something still seems off.   Scaling 2.24 V where a 2-10 V range maps to 0-50 A should give you 1/4 of the ~6.5 I referred to earlier, so more like 1.6.   Still not 3.5.

I understand that (as far as you know) the real world *actual* current might be 3.5 and that's why you're anchored to it, but the ranges and voltage measurements you've presented don't get you there.  Just looking to emphasize clarity.  The deifference between a 0-200 A range and a 0-50 A  range doesn't *actually* explain what you've observed so far.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(1,387 Views)

2.24V probably doesn't represent 3.5A anymore after putting the jumper on the correct spot. I didn't measure the voltage across the resistor, but after doing that I get a current reading in labview of 2.7 - 2.9 amps (it fluctuates a little) while my BK 9201 power supply shows 2.9999 amps being drawn from it, when I have the current output set to 3 amps. (In the example I just gave, forget about the 3.5A, I changed it to 3A earlier today).

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(1,382 Views)