From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird phenomenon when measuring temperature with thermocouple

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm using USB-9213 connecting with bunch of thermocouples, which are in the same thermal condition.

And the result is this.

dhm04042_1-1610523293696.png

X-axis is time(second), and Y-axis is temperature(degree C). As you can see, there's weird cycle with about 30 minutes.

The thermal condition has not changed at all. Are there any possibilities that could effect the result like this by hardware or software?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(1,372 Views)

My best wild guess is that the data are correct; the temperature really is fluctuating.

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(1,354 Views)
Solution
Accepted by dhm04042

Well, somewhere is a temperature cycle ....

Since the result of a TC measurement is not only a function of the thermal condition of the measurement junction (tip 😉 ) of the TC, instead it's a function the integral temperature differences along the TC and both endpoints* , I suspect the cold junction is drifting....

If you use one (additional?) channel with only a shortcut (short copper wire) at the cold junction (CJ), it should also read the CJ temperatur, how does it look like?

*) and all the rest ... found in the complete measurement uncertainty budget ....   :^)

Another source of slow changes I have seen in the past is a not perfekt alignment to the power line frequency in the voltage measurement, but that is more erratic...

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(1,351 Views)

I'd do a test with ice water.

That should be 0 deg.C... If that fluctuates, it's a technical problem.

Boiling water will work too, but might be impractical.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(1,345 Views)

Well, this USB-9213 has its own CJC detection, so I select this option of course. Will it be better if I use independent CJC channel?

Thx for reply anyway.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(1,333 Views)

I believe thermal condition is relatively stable, I guess.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(1,331 Views)

I agree with others.  It looks real to me.  Any measurements I've done in open air in well-controlled lab spaces show fairly similar temperature cycles.  That's just the nature of HVAC systems. 

-Kevin P 

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(1,326 Views)

You didn't say what type of thermocouple you are using but K type is probably the most common and K type thermocouples have a general accuracy of "Greater of 2.2°Cor 0.75%" and your 1.5 degree fluctuations are within their basic accuracy.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(1,302 Views)