cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird behavior of feedback node in sub-vi

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello!

I try to implement the low-pass filter sensor reading and it worked well while it was part of main VI. As soon as this part was moved as Sub-VI, the behavor became messy. From what I see, it looks like it has always 0 as previously calculated value instead of remembering.

Is there any hint, where to dig to fix it?

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 27
(2,046 Views)

Hi Ye,

maybe because you initialize the feedback node every time?

(Your main VI uses way too many local variables IMHO -  and too many IndexArray nodes…)

Suggestion:

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 27
(2,029 Views)

What do you mean "initialize every time"? It is set to be initialized at first call.

I don't see how your suggestion is different from mine. Or you want to say to return the feedback node to the main vi?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 27
(2,016 Views)

Hi Ye,

@YePererva wrote:

What do you mean "initialize every time"? It is set to be initialized at first call.

But there are several calls of that VI…

@YePererva wrote:

I don't see how your suggestion is different from mine. Or you want to say to return the feedback node to the main vi?

My version doesn't need the formula node.

And I would use feedback nodes in the main VI to get rid of all those local variables…

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 27
(1,998 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author YePererva

The subvi is tricky. Sinve you have a feedback node and calls the VI in 3 places, you'll get the wrong feedbacked value for the next call. It should fix itself if you change it to Reentrant Preallocated mode.

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Message 5 of 27
(1,991 Views)

Needed to edit sub-VI properties:

1. Open Sub-VI

2. Go to its properties (Ctrl+I)

3. Switch to category "Execution"

4. Select  "Preallocated clone reentrant execution"

5. Save

After that it worked properly.

Regarding the local variables: those are additionally used in other places of VI. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 27
(1,898 Views)

I must be missing something. Where is this "Reentrant Preallocated" setting?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 27
(1,856 Views)

Hi Ye,

@YePererva wrote:

Regarding the local variables: those are additionally used in other places of VI. 

Then you should reconsider your overall program design…

Best regards,
GerdW

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 27
(1,964 Views)

It's a kind tip from us that will improve your programming skills to not use (local) variables. Much easier to read the code and less bug-prone. Think dataflow! 

Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 27
(1,955 Views)

Probably, that will be done after introducing all the functionality I need. As of now, this is still a "functional prototype under construction".

P.S. Please, explain how does use of local variables compromise the data flow?

As I understood, the main part responsible for dataflow in such application is the state machine and connection between states. In NI course(s) there is a strong suggestion "one state - one function". So, in this case I have several states: "Data acquisition" (reading of 7 sensors, but there will be a few more latter ), "Statistics" and "Data filtration/noise suppression", where extra calculations are made. Usage of local variable seems to be the proper way of passing data between those stages. What is wrong with that?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 27
(1,849 Views)