From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webcam with myRIO

Hi,

I am working on a surveillance robot with myRIO and needed help with choosing a very cost effective camera, under 20$/₹1200. Currently, I am not doing any advanced processing, but I need a camera that gives me continuous video, without any lag. Can someone please help me out with the available choices?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,299 Views)

I've got a Logitech C720 that IMAQdx can "see".  Never tried doing this with a myRIO, however.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,259 Views)

Hi,

Do you mean c270, not c720?

That fits within my budget, but won't that slow down the rest of the application due to its consuming a lot of bandwidth and CPU power?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,236 Views)

You have to make sure that the webcam is supported by Linux, as the myRIO is running a NI-Linux version 

There are multiple documents on applications on myRIO with webcam, search the site.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,208 Views)

There is a bit more information in the following community page about what camera specs you might need to look for to make sure it works on a myRIO.

https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-30345

In regards to the bandwidth problem, you should be able to configure the camera to run at a lower framerate so it doesn't take too much processing time.

Matt J | National Instruments | CLA
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,199 Views)

Oops.  I just put "Logitech 720" into Google, and when it showed me three inexpensive cameras, I didn't notice that Google was showing me 270, not 720.  That will teach me to trust Google!

BS

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,193 Views)

Hi,

I already saw that doc and it doesn't much solve my problem.

As for the frame rate, that's exactly what I don't want to decrease because I want it to look like continuous recording. The c270 looked good, but again it says you need a minimum 1GHz CPU which myRIO does not have. So, is there a camera that can process the image and give it to the myrio to save both bandwidth and CPU power? (That's just a suggestion- the processing thing, if you have something better please tell me)

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,183 Views)