cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webcam interface with labview

Hello all,

I need to interface webcam with labview 2011,

My requirement is as follows,

1. Capture the image read by webcam using labview.

2. Store it in local harddisk

3. Compare it with standard image stored in PC and decide whether read image is OK or not.

I am completely new to IMAQ and went through forum also. Can you tell me what are the steps to do this, how to getting started. What software I need to install for this,link and which webcam is good for this.

Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kudos are always welcome if you got solution to some extent.

I need my difficulties because they are necessary to enjoy my success.
--Ranjeet
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,526 Views)

Hi Ranjeet,

You can choose NI smart cameras and third party Basler or Axis camera supported by LabVIEW. To achieve target you have to install IMAQdx drivers(License Version). On any event or pragmatically you can click image and these images can compare with standard image.

Thanks and Regards
Himanshu Goyal | LabVIEW Engineer- Power System Automation
Values that steer us ahead: Passion | Innovation | Ambition | Diligence | Teamwork
It Only gets BETTER!!!
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(4,519 Views)

1. If you are using a webcam, ensure that the camera is compatible with DirectShow, and that the camera driver is installed and functioning.

2. You will need to install the Vision Acquisition Software. The software features the activation-based NI-IMAQdx driver for acquiring from DirectShow-compliant devices. A license for this software is included with all NI vision hardware and all NI vision software licenses, and is also sold separately for applications that do not require image processing or specialized hardware.

3. I am not sure how you are 'comparing' the acquired image with the image that is stored in the harddisk. But, if you want do machine vision & image processing, then you will need the Vision Development Module. In general, VDM functions are to be used for post processing images. Some example functions are: pattern matching, particle analysis, edge detection, thresholding, histograms, and optical character recognition. This module includes the VAS that was described earlier.

4. There are lots of examples that are shipped with the software to help you understand and achieve what you are trying to do.

Here is a good article that describes the different vision software provided by NI:

What is the Difference Between Vision Software VDM, VBAI, and VAS?

NI Vision Software Comparison

Adnan Zafar
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Coleman Technologies
Message 3 of 11
(4,494 Views)

Hi Himanshu_Goyal,

I need for my college project, Is it compulsory to buy IMAQdx drivers and NI camera? Is it not possible to manage somehow?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Ranjeet
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(4,467 Views)

Hello AdnanZ

Thanks for your time. I think pattern matching, edge detection is Ok for me as I am not aware till now how to peocess it. Can I download all the software from NI(trial version).  If you have any sample example for this please share it.

Thanks

--Ranjeet
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(4,466 Views)

Hi Ranjeet,

You can go with the evalution version for some time period and there are no other alternative way to bypass this but yes if this is a collage project you can buy any camera with its software and the software API/ActiveX/Dlls/SDKs you can control by using LabVIEW.

Thanks and Regards
Values that steer us ahead: Passion | Innovation | Ambition | Diligence | Teamwork
It Only gets BETTER!!!
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(4,460 Views)

Any examples you have? 

--Ranjeet
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(4,448 Views)

Hi Ranjeet,

You can Read this discussion. It can help you.

Thanks and Regards
It Only gets BETTER!!!
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(4,443 Views)

Check out this link, you might also want to appreciate McArthur's worth spending 2 hours...!!

I am not allergic to Kudos, in fact I love Kudos.

Make your LabVIEW experience more CONVENIENT.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(4,427 Views)

It looks prettry to me....But unfortunately I dont have webcam till now, I need to buy one, can you suggess any cheaper, good and relaible webcam I can use for my project as I need to capture process and match with standard image.

My goal is to read image using webcam and do the image processing.

Thanks 

--Ranjeet
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(4,387 Views)