LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web Services Auxiliary VI in 2011

pltrogon,

(Let me preface this by noting that I am not a DSC or Shared Variables expert.)

Using both 2011 and 2011 f2, I was able to register the notifications in the auxiliary VI, poll the web service, make a change to the shared variable, and see an immediate service response. This worked whether I used the Distributed System Manager to update the shared variable, or wrote another web service to make the update. The request to the event-structure web service blocks until the variable is updated, and then returns right away once the event is triggered.

I did make some changes to the code you have above; you might try them to see if they are in any way related to the problem:

- I'm only registering for notifications from one shared variable.

- My code doesn't typecast the notification refnum; it just passes it straight through the global.

- I don't have any of the RASICAM-specific code in my web service VI.

- I split apart the event structure and the Web Services VIs so that any errors encountered when registering the User Event could be reported back from the service.

Some other thoughts:

- When you say "the event structure never triggers", you mean that the request hangs forever (24 hours), right?

- Can you check the Register/Unregister For Events VIs for errors to make sure that they aren't the problem?

- I guess it never hurts to double-check -- are you absolutely certain that your network shared variable is being changed after the request is made?

Jacob C.

LabVIEW R&D

Message 11 of 14
(345 Views)

champion.j: simply amazing response! thanks!

I'm even more puzzled now why this doesn't work... I tried registering only one variable, removing the typecast, removing the RASICAM-specific code, sending registration errors to the service. My NSV's are certainly being changed and, yes--I mean that the request hangs forever. I even reconstructed the program from scratch [don't ask me why--this has helped me before] and nothing changed.

At this point, the only difference I can detect between your setup and mine is that I'm working remotely on VPN. There is no port conflict and I'm not sure this is relevant.

I'll open another project and do this from scratch--a pain over VPN, but the only idea I have at the moment.

thanks for the help

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 14
(320 Views)

OK, that doesn't work either. This is pretty straightforward and it's hard to see where I could have gone wrong with proper build specs or configurations in general. However, it's clearly not a general 2011 or f2 problem because champion.j can't reproduce it.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 14
(316 Views)

Repair on the LV and DSC 2011 install did the trick. Thanks for those that helped!

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 14
(296 Views)