Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water Tank Treatment VI

We have been given a project with the following requirements 

- When the system starts up the tank is full and starts to empty

- When the level drops below 30% it begins to fill at a constant rate

- When it reaches above 90% it empties at a variable rate

- Monitoring pH and fluorine levels (random number generator) 

- When they are out of range, the system will turn on dosing pumps until back within range. 

- include client VI using global variables to allow remote monitoring of the water tank levels, pH and Fluorine levels and the ability to stop the run. 

- Needs to be a storage file for the data and also think what else the client VI should be able to do. 

I have managed to do the majority of the above. I started trying to build a state machine but I am not sure if that's I ended up with. I doubt it.... but it helped to get me started. I have nearly finished but I can't seem to figure out how to stop the program from the client VI or stop the tank from filling/emptying when dosing. Also, what would be the best approach with the ph/fluorine storage file, excel? Any other advice or suggestions would be appreciated. 

Hope all this makes sense, i am new to labview so I don't know have I done this completely backwards.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(666 Views)

You know, in more than a decade of LabVIEW development, I've never seen (let alone felt the need to use, Splitter Bars (I had to do a little research to learn what those strange-looking bars on the Front Panel meant!).  It certainly wasn't consistent with the "newness" of your LabVIEW code.  But I remembered my first attempt at developing a LabVIEW "Virtual Instrument" where I worried about "Appearance" rather than "Function".

Still, your code has some good ideas.  You have the beginnings of an Event Loop structure, the beginnings of a State Machine (the Shift Register "feeding" a Case Structure, but the "feed" should be an Enum (or, alternatively, a String) that names the States, not a Boolean that can only have two values, True or False).

Spend some time with the Tutorials at the beginning of this Forum, or the Tutorial material available on the Web.  Alternatively, find a "LabVIEW Mentor", a faculty member or graduate student using LabVIEW and willing to get you started.  LabVIEW is fun, fairly easy to learn (especially with a little help and feedback, and effort on your part), and quite powerful, despite its unconventional appearance.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(626 Views)