From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vision Acquisition Software

Solved!
Go to solution

desktop PC, windows 7. A PCIe-8231gigabit Ethernet interface card and the NI driver work find with a direct wire connection between the interface card and the camera. The system is operating at 380 fps with 640x240 using a greyscale Basler camera.

If i put a router inline (local network), will the video capture work?

what issues are likely?

(A remote site is requesting that configuration).

thanks for your time and efforts

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,535 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author larry2

Well, we have an application where 24 Ethernet cameras are monitoring behavioral experiments on one floor, and four floors away, we capture the videos using LabVIEW and IMAQdx.  The cameras are on the building's network, and we access them with the same Ethernet connection we use to "surf the Web", do e-mail, and log in to the local Domain.  Works just fine.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,491 Views)

Bob, what brand model resolution and frame rate are your cameras? 

Larry, what model are you using?

There's a big difference between network IP cameras, such as the Basler BIP2, which have onboard compression and are designed for network streaming, and industrial GigE cameras, such as the Basler Ace, which can be very bandwidth heavy, depending on the model. Larry's resolution is very modest but the frame rate is decently high so he could still run into trouble.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(5,486 Views)

Basler piA640-210gm. compression is done by PC software - many of these have been running fine 24/7 for several years... i have a router and will put it in line asap to see how it works... bandwith on a non-dedicated router is likely to be the issue - however with modern stuff, it may all work fine... i will spend some time now that i know they can operate thru a router. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(5,471 Views)

We're using Axis M1031, running at 30fps.  I just opened MAX to check the camera's resolution, and realized I can't "see" the camera after installing LabVIEW 2016 -- I probably messed up IMAQdx.  Oops ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(5,467 Views)

Ok, we are dealing with two different species of cameras here. Generally, Axis cameras are network IP cameras which are specifically designed for network broadcast and usually compress video substantially at the camera board level prior to broadcast. Also it looks like the Axis M1031 which is VGA - at 30fps this is a very manageable resolution.

The Basler Pilot series is an industrial camera and does not have (to my knowledge) onboard video compression. In your case Larry you should probably be okay with these data rates due to the low resolution, especially if you are keeping things local and not trying to stream halfway across the world.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(5,444 Views)

thanks for the router info for the Basler industrial style camera that i use with labview-vision. the application is local, however it is a continent away - and i won't be there. i hadn't considered that configuration (i prefer hardwired). router was requested. its interesting to see how flexable these systems are and i appreciate the group input. cheers

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(5,435 Views)