LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Printer Port for USB (USB001)

Hi guys,

I have a printer that only has Parallel Port connectivity and we use a Parallel to USB converter.

When installed, this shows up on the target/development machine under port "USB001 - Virtual Printer Port for USB". On checking Device Manager, this device doesn't show up under 'Ports (COM & LPT)'. It does however recognize the printer by displaying "USB Printing Support", which can be found under 'Universal Serial Bus controllers' (image below).

Due to nothing showing up under 'Ports (COM & LTP)' (apart from what was already connected), I cannot see this in the Visa Resource List, nor can I see at all in MAX or NI VISA.

Has anyone ever came across this and if so, can you please advise on a solution so that I can communicate with the printer through LabVIEW?

Kind regards,

X22

Resources.png

Ports.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,727 Views)

Hi X22,

there is a "LPT1" visible in both images! What else do you need for a parallel port?

a solution so that I can communicate with the printer through LabVIEW?

Use a "real" USB-to-ParallelPort converter. They are available like those USB-to-SerialPort converters.

Or use a simple USB600x, most/all of them should provide enough DIO pins for a parallel port…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,709 Views)

Hi Gerd,

Correct the development machine has a LPT1 port, but the target machine only has USB ports. Therefore Parallel (Printer) to USB (PC) seems the only option to me.

Something similar to this works perfectly when using Windows Test Print or printing a VI directly through LabVIEW to the Default Printer:

photo.jpg

However finding the printer installed on the target machine and calling the LabVIEW drivers I have written seems to be the sticking point...

Regards,

X22

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,706 Views)