From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ViewPoint TSVN Overlays

@billko wrote:

Did you configure it to show overlays?  Overlays are off by default because they can cause LabVIEW to crash.  Even if they are enabled, you have to hit the TSVN refresh button at the top to see them.

Bill, how do you configure it? I know how to configure the SVN client by right clicking and going through the shell settings to the overlays....in my options, those are set to default. 

Is there another location that must be set for the overlays to show in the LabVIEW project? 

TIA.

Appreciate constructive criticism, it is there to help you succeed.
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 20
(1,390 Views)

@SHowell-Atec wrote:

@billko wrote:

Did you configure it to show overlays?  Overlays are off by default because they can cause LabVIEW to crash.  Even if they are enabled, you have to hit the TSVN refresh button at the top to see them.

Bill, how do you configure it? I know how to configure the SVN client by right clicking and going through the shell settings to the overlays....in my options, those are set to default. 

Is there another location that must be set for the overlays to show in the LabVIEW project? 

TIA.

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.  From any of your LabVIEW windows:

• Tools --> Viewpoint TSVN Toolkit --> Settings.
  • Select Display Icon Overlays.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 12 of 20
(1,379 Views)

Thanks Bill,

I will look into that. My apologies for not responding before now. Under the gun on a project so its been heads down for a few weeks!

Message 13 of 20
(1,354 Views)

Bill,

Your suggestion worked and now my TSVN is working in the project as should be, the overlays and all.

Thanks again! 

Message 14 of 20
(1,335 Views)

I was able to turn the icon overlays on or off in the project explorer using LabVIEW 2018 SP1, Viewpoint TSVN Toolkit 1.8.5, on Windows 10.

On Project Explored select:

menu bar:  < Tools >

<Viewpoint TSVN Toolkit>

<Settings...>  (Not to be confused with <TSVN Setting>, this provides other options)

Under "Icon Overlays" Enable "Display Icon Overlays", "Aggregate Folder Status", and "Auto-Refresh".

Cheers!

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 20
(1,207 Views)

* UPDATE * Use caution with icon overlay rate.

If you use the Auto-Refresh option for Icon Overlays, do not set the Period too high--I believe it defaults to 5 seconds. With a somewhat complex project, this took the CPU usage of my system over 100% and caused repeated crashes. It wasn't just a LabVIEW crash--it took down my entire system, with a very long, hard-boot recovery process.

I tested settings on Windows 10 and a 300 second (5 minute) refresh rate seems stable. When you first activate the overlays it will ramp-up use of the CPU (I saw 92%) until all files are updated and then it settles down.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 20
(1,177 Views)

I turn auto-refresh off.  It will crash a medium sized project.  If you absolutely must see the latest status, do a manual refresh.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 20
(1,173 Views)

Thank you. I ended up turning it off as well. The performance was okay, but it did crash eventually.  I also recommend keeping it off for stability.

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 20
(1,170 Views)

There are two problems here.  One seems to involve Viewpoint's TSVN, which interacts with Tortoise SVN to allow you to execute SVN commands from within a LabVIEW session.  The other involves a design decision that Microsoft built into Windows that limits the number of Overlay Icons that can be used at the same time (I believe the number is on the order of 20, "shared" among all the installed routines on a Windows PC that want to use them).

I've been using Tortoise SVN for more than 15 years, and have always used it in a "hands-on" mode, that is, directly  Windows Explorer.  I use it mostly for LabVIEW work and documentation.  I tend to create a Repository for every major LabVIEW Project, and manage interaction with SVN largely at the Project (folder) level directly from Windows Explorer.

Just today, I noticed that on a PC at work, the Overlay Icons on my LabVIEW Project Folders (and sub-folders, and files) were missing.  Of course, the Powers That Be had just rolled out a new set of Windows Updates, and (of course) rolled out a set of new Policies and other "improvements", including deciding that Box, or OneDrive, must have the highest priority, so they reserve the first slots by adding 5 spaces to the front of the Registry entry, as "     OneDrive1", which sorts way before "Tortoise1Normal".  So I edited the entries, putting a single space before the Tortoise entries, and removing the leading spaces before the other Entries.  A reboot later, all the Tortoise Icons were back on the Folders and Files.

Bob Schor

Message 19 of 20
(1,162 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

There are two problems here.  One seems to involve Viewpoint's TSVN, which interacts with Tortoise SVN to allow you to execute SVN commands from within a LabVIEW session.  The other involves a design decision that Microsoft built into Windows that limits the number of Overlay Icons that can be used at the same time (I believe the number is on the order of 20, "shared" among all the installed routines on a Windows PC that want to use them).

I've been using Tortoise SVN for more than 15 years, and have always used it in a "hands-on" mode, that is, directly  Windows Explorer.  I use it mostly for LabVIEW work and documentation.  I tend to create a Repository for every major LabVIEW Project, and manage interaction with SVN largely at the Project (folder) level directly from Windows Explorer.

Just today, I noticed that on a PC at work, the Overlay Icons on my LabVIEW Project Folders (and sub-folders, and files) were missing.  Of course, the Powers That Be had just rolled out a new set of Windows Updates, and (of course) rolled out a set of new Policies and other "improvements", including deciding that Box, or OneDrive, must have the highest priority, so they reserve the first slots by adding 5 spaces to the front of the Registry entry, as "     OneDrive1", which sorts way before "Tortoise1Normal".  So I edited the entries, putting a single space before the Tortoise entries, and removing the leading spaces before the other Entries.  A reboot later, all the Tortoise Icons were back on the Folders and Files.

Bob Schor

You have to be extremely vigilant against overlay hijackers.  Every self-important program will try to make its overlays first in alphabetical order.  Fortunately, TSVN setting has a link to the overlay registry entries so you can fix them.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Message 20 of 20
(1,150 Views)