From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ViewPoint TSVN Overlays

I have installed Tortoise SVN and ViewPoint TSVN. SVN is working well in Windows Explorer, and ViewPoint is clearly installed: The project toolbar shows the SVN tools, and right-clicking on a vi shows the SVN menu items. But there are no overlays on the list of folders and vi's in the project. I've spent a fair bit of time trying to get the overlays to appear with no luck. Anyone have a suggestion? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 20
(4,074 Views)

By "overlays", are you referring to the symbols that TSVN puts on files and folders to show which are up-to-date (green checkmark), need to be updated (red exclamation point), etc.?

If they are missing, the first question to ask is "Have they ever been there?".  If you downloaded TSVN and installed it as a File Manager Extension, did you see the Overlays?  

If you did not, it is because some other software (and Dropbox is, in my experience, often the culprit) has "reserved" the small number of overlays that Microsoft provides, leaving none for TSVN.

If "overlay" means something else, please explain ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 20
(4,011 Views)

Yes, those symbols are exactly what I mean, Bob. These overlays appear properly in the Windows File Explorer. And ViewPoint is working well in that the SVN menu appears when you right-click on a file in the LV Project window (and the SVN tools are in the toolbar at the extreme right). But the overlays don't show up the list of Vi's and other files in the Project window. I suppose it's a small thing, but it bugs me. 

I checked the installed overlays in RegEdit, and the SVN overlays are the top 9 in the list, followed by three from SkyDrive. (I don't have DropBox installed). So I don't think the problem lies there. 

I've attached a screen shot. 

David

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 20
(3,990 Views)

Well, if they show up in File Explorer, and they are in the top 15 shown in the Registry, you should be OK, except that ViewPoint System's plugin doesn't do what you want.  I just went on Viewpoint System's Web Site, where I downloaded the latest User Guide that does show little overlays in the Project View -- if you aren't seeing them, then you might want to contact Viewpoint directly (they're generally friendly and helpful).  The Guide says to send comments and questions to TSVNTbar.support@viewpointusa.com .

When you get this working, please Post the Solution here for the next person having the same problem.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 20
(3,973 Views)

Thanks, Bob. I did write to ViewPoint a few days ago about this. No response yet. I'll try them again. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 20
(3,963 Views)

Did you configure it to show overlays?  Overlays are off by default because they can cause LabVIEW to crash.  Even if they are enabled, you have to hit the TSVN refresh button at the top to see them.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 6 of 20
(3,942 Views)

Which version of TSVN do you have installed? On the ViewPoint website it says it supports TSVN 1.8 and it looks like TSVN is up to 1.12 now.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 20
(3,932 Views)

Thanks, guys. Yes, I have configured TSVN to show overlays. And SVN version is indeed 1.12.

Now here's something interesting. If I right-click on a file in the Project window and select any of the items from the TSVN submenu (e.g., show log, Repo-browser), the overlay for that one file or folder then shows. If I do that for a folder, the overlay for the folder appears, but not for any of the files inside. 

I don't want to do this for every file in the rather large project. But it's progress at least. 

David

Message 8 of 20
(3,922 Views)

There's a TSVN tool bar at the top with a refresh button.  This sill refresh the currently visible items.  This takes a while because your project is likely organized by virtual folder and doesn't align with the physical layout of the files, so the plug in has to rummage through the project file to see what needs to be updated.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 9 of 20
(3,897 Views)

@FlatCat wrote:

Thanks, guys. Yes, I have configured TSVN to show overlays. And SVN version is indeed 1.12.

Now here's something interesting. If I right-click on a file in the Project window and select any of the items from the TSVN submenu (e.g., show log, Repo-browser), the overlay for that one file or folder then shows. If I do that for a folder, the overlay for the folder appears, but not for any of the files inside. 

I don't want to do this for every file in the rather large project. But it's progress at least. 

David

I have run into this myself in overly large projects.  And on Virtual Machines.  

The TK DOES use the TSVN Command Line Interface to refresh the project explorer overlays.  This does take OS resources!  Moreover, the refresh rate itself is fairly low (fast cycling) by default (ideal for smaller projects) I again suspect that the framework has been created to restart cycles of overlays to update currently displayed items and ignore collapsed items or assign them a lower priority.

With systems that have large projects (by file count) and LOW RAM I've seen some rather long latency with right-click on multiple file selections  (Most notably on this new gaming mouse trying to Right-Click through into a Virtual Machine with a measly 4GB RAM)

Honestly, I love the Viewpoint TK to death but, it is stuck in the dank basement of the LabVIEW Frameworks rabbit hole and some nasty TSVN open source sub-flooring holes that look pretty but have less stability than you might guess.  Worse, it bypasses a lot of the OS nifty stuff and hooks straight into the "Shell" area.

TSVN and LabVIEW are both actively under development to improve this type of shell extension support within OS controlled displays.  I try to limit my criticisms of "How to implement this stuff" when providing Feedback to the experts in that arena (and configure Diff Merge Tools for .vim files manually)

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 20
(3,870 Views)