LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Cameras

Hi.  I have a requirement to capture video from two analog cameras and timestamp this so it syncs with the data that is collected and stored in a data file.

Does anyone have any recommendation on the hardware needed to read the cameras and how to embed a timestamp with Labview?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(2,928 Views)

Hi Seascan,

I've used several CCD cameras with labview before, so I think I'll be able to help once more information is given....

It'll be helpful to know what LV version you have, and if you have NI's machine vision. Also, what kind of cameras you have?

Lastly, I found that NI has these cards for camera integration: http://sine.ni.com/np/app/main/p/bot/no/ap/vision/lang/en/pg/1/sn/n24:PCIE,n21:11600/nid/1286/

I don't have a specific recommendation as it depends on your goals and your budget :-). (Note: other users might be able to recommend a specific card).

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(2,926 Views)

Simply_Me, Thank you for the response.

I am currently in the planning phase.  So my requirements are malleable.  I am new to LabView and have come to it after years of .NET programming.  After two days on the evaluation version I was able to recreate an application that took approximately 120 hours of development in text based coding!

After the evaluation period I was planning on purchasing LabView 'Base' but I would consider any of the other flavors if I had justification.  I spoke to the regional salesman about my needs and he told me that all version were capable of timestamping.... though he was unsure about the timestamping of video.

As for budget, I would like to find the most cost-effective way of meeting the requirements.  I would lean towards using proven and reliable components and pay a higher price than try to scrape and scrounge and to hack things together to save some money.

So, I am a blank slate -- I am open to any cameras, any acquisition hardware, and any version of Labview that will allow me to put a timestamp on the incoming video streams. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(2,907 Views)

Based on the link you provided, this looks to be an acceptable two channel card: http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/202340

Do you know if the NI Vision software allows for text overlay?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(2,897 Views)

I'm confused: in your first post you talked about analog cameras but the link you gave is for camera link camera! That won't fit.

Camera link cameras are very expensive.

What frame rate did you expect? I'm pretty sure nothing that justify camera link cameras.

I did several projects with those cameras and firewire interface.

IMAQ software allows text overlay no problem.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(2,889 Views)

Hi Seascan,

If you are interested in a USB solution you could check out a company called Sensoray (www.sensoray.com) who make a ton of different frame grabber products. I personally have experience with the USB 2250/51 models and have integrated video capture with these devices into my LabVIEW application. They are also pretty reasonably priced, and support text overlay. 

In just looking at their website, it appears they have a newer model called the USB 2255 which is a 4 channel frame grabber that has hardware timestamping with 1ms resolution... something I might want to look into myself! Smiley Happy

Hopefully this helps

Eric

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(2,886 Views)

Alain,

My ignorance is showing!  I'm definitely not a camera guy so, thank you for the catch.

Here are the details:

I need to mount two cameras in aboout 5' of saltwater.  The cameras will be focused on something that is a few feet in front of it.  We are looking for small bubbles.  We have resources to build underwater housings so the camera being waterproof is not an issue... though it would be helpful to find something off-the-shelf.  I am not sure what the best type of cameras to get in this situation are.

I am VERY open to ideas and opinions! 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(2,884 Views)

Thanks Eric!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(2,882 Views)

No problem, let me know if this is the route you decide to take and I can give you some advice on how to get up and running! Their API is also pretty well documented.

Eric

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(2,877 Views)

That's great Eric.  I was planning on calling them this afternoon.

Do you have any recommendations for cameras? I know this is a open-ended question!

-Terry

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(2,874 Views)