From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vibration sensor and I2C

Hello,

I was wondering if I could get some assistance in communicating the vibration sensor with sbRIO 9633. I haven't worked on any of these before. The vibration sensor outputs a 2's compliment data. How do you interface through I2C? I have no clue how to start. 

Here is the specs .. http://www.seeedstudio.com/wiki/Grove_-_3-Axis_Digital_Accelerometer(%C2%B116g)

My application is to measure vibrations in the train.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,308 Views)

Can I use the daqmx.. to read from the I2C? 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,266 Views)

Hi kdm,

have you tried to search for "sbrio i2c"? This will result in several helpful links - and none of them mentions DAQmx for this topic…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,261 Views)

Hi Gerd,

Sorry I changed my sensor now (As I felt that the previous sensor is more used for academic grade projects) . The new sensor is an analog sensor.

Here is the specs.. 

http://www.meas-spec.com/product/t_product.aspx?id=2706#

I need help in calibrating the sensor. There are no equation curves given. It says at zero acceleration, the output voltage is +/-25mV. With this information, is there any possibility to calibrate?

..and can anyone let me know the response time of this sensor? The specs says that the frequency response range is 0-1000Hz (for +/-50g). So is 0.001s the response time? 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,234 Views)

Hi kdm,

I need help in calibrating the sensor. There are no equation curves given. It says at zero acceleration, the output voltage is +/-25mV. With this information, is there any possibility to calibrate?

Well, you can correct the offset. That's all you can with this value. No gain correction, no correction of temperature influences, no "calibration"…

MeasSpec also offers several AppNotes on the website you linked to. Did you read those AppNotes? Maybe "Accelerometer Basics" will be helpful for you!

can anyone let me know the response time of this sensor?

In the first place you should always ask the manufacturer for such details!

As this is a full bridge design it responses (nearly) instantly on acceleration. The more important fact are the allowed frequencies or the natural frequency specified in the spec sheet.

Did you read the spec sheet - and do you understand all of those specs?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,229 Views)