LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Variant attribute table instead of queue

So I accidentally got a little excited and essentially wrote my own subVI that behaves like a queue. It uses a variant attribute lookup table. Essentially the attribute name replaces the queue name and the attribute data contains the queue. Also it doesn't allow duplicate values to be queued which was a necessity of the project I'm working on.

After I had written it and started using it, it occurred to me that it might be better practice to rewrite it using queues. When I started rewriting it, I realized that my version allows me to create an arbitrary number of "queues" without having to worry about releasing any of them. That's pretty cool!

Anyone see any other merits to using a VI like this? I'm using it as a pre-queue handler. It catches anything enqueued in other loops in the code and only allows them to be be enqueued by the ACTUAL queue when my event structures call call their timeout cases. Essentially it keeps things from being enqueued when they aren't supposed to.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(1,970 Views)

What you posted doesn't seem to be the same thing as a queue.  Queues imply that they maintain an order for how things were enqueued.  I don't see anything in your VI that maintains an order of how things were "enqueued".

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(1,949 Views)