LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vanishing custom button images?

Hi there. Have any of you ever had problems when creating custom buttons? More to the point, have any of you ever had problems when creating custom buttons where the images just vanish from the front panel after running the app only a few times...? I've created a front panel that uses custom buttons/images, ran the app and it works great the first few times, everything is where it should be, but after running it so many times, the graphics attached to the buttons just disappear from the front panel. The buttons themselves ARE still there but they cant be seen! I've been trying to solve this for some time now, and I've looked all over for a solution and still no joy, so I figured I'd post a new thread on here in the hope one of you might shed some insight. The images I'm using are gifs (does that matter). I'm using Labview 2010 Thanks in advance. Mitsurugi
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 27
(2,952 Views)

Post your code so I can have a go at it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reese, (former CLAD, future CLD)

Some people call me the Space Cowboy!
Some call me the gangster of love.
Some people call me MoReese!
...I'm right here baby, right here, right here, right here at home
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 27
(2,945 Views)
Heya, sorry for taking so long to get back to you. Ive attached a small app that illustrates the problem with the buttons. The images are included also. What I've found recently is that you don't even have to actually run the app to have the images disappear. If you just open the project, and leave it for a while (say 30, 40 minutes?), then they will go blank. I dunno if it's the way I've set up the buttons (mechanical action, picture items and whatnot), the nature of the images used, or what. For a while I was even thinking that I may be the amount of memory on my machine (pretty small), but then that can't be it because none of the other buttons in the app I'm working on are ever affected..... Anyway, have a gander, and see if you can spot summat I've missed. Ta much.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 27
(2,906 Views)

@Mitsurugi wrote:
Heya, sorry for taking so long to get back to you. Ive attached a small app that illustrates the problem with the buttons. The images are included also. What I've found recently is that you don't even have to actually run the app to have the images disappear. If you just open the project, and leave it for a while (say 30, 40 minutes?), then they will go blank. I dunno if it's the way I've set up the buttons (mechanical action, picture items and whatnot), the nature of the images used, or what. For a while I was even thinking that I may be the amount of memory on my machine (pretty small), but then that can't be it because none of the other buttons in the app I'm working on are ever affected..... Anyway, have a gander, and see if you can spot summat I've missed. Ta much.

That has nothing to do with the mechanical action.  What you describe is strange indeed.  I will have a look and get back with you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 27
(2,897 Views)

Is it the image on the booleans that are disappearing or the entire button?  Why are your labels tucked behind the buttons?  If you want them removed simply right-click>>Visible Items>>Labels.  I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but don't hide your labels behind your controls/indicators.  When the buttons disappear, what happens if you double click on the boolean from the block diagram?  Can you see the outline of your control?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 27
(2,892 Views)
Appreciated.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 27
(2,888 Views)
Sorry, just saw this post. Just the image is disappearing. Well to be more precise the black background/outline of the image is there, but the writing/decorations ON that image are no longer visible. Regarding the whole label thing, this was my first time creating custom buttons. Will take your advice to heart in future. When I double click the boolean on the block diagram the outline does indeed appear on the front panel. It's like it's hidden behind the background or something...
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 27
(2,885 Views)

I left your VI open for awhile and it indeed went black on the booleans.  If you click the button you will see the picture reappear.  I'm not sure what's going on with your pic, but there does not seem to be an off-state color set for the boolean.  Also, your Stop button should be set to Latch when Released.  Otherwise LV may not catch the state change.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 27
(2,875 Views)
Is there a preferred file format to use when it comes to custom button graphics....? I've been trying out PNG files as opposed to GIFs and no probs so far... But of course knowing my luck I've spoken way too soon. Will check again in a couple of hours....
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 27
(2,873 Views)

Try changing your controls to Strictly typed.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 27
(2,856 Views)