From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VIScripting and NI-FPGA - copy registers

Solved!
Go to solution

Is there a way to copy or create FPGA registers using scripting in a project.  I am looking at needing a few registers for each IO (128) so if I could run a script to make and name them that would be really really nice.

I can create one, and get a reference to it in the project, but I can't use the GObject move, because I can't cast the ProjectItem ref to be a Gobject.  I also looked and don't see a project level "Copy", which would be the easiest.

My end goal is a FPGA target with the hundreds of registers defined. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(852 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author EvanCo

I found this VI that seems to do the trick: [LabVIEW 20xx]\vi.lib\FlexRIO\ProjectCreator\ProjectCreatorClass\Create Register.vi

Pass in the reference of the ProjectItem you want to own the Register, and it has a configuration cluster for setting the name, data type, etc. When I ran this code a Register was successfully created in the project.

register.png

FYI this approach (and more generally, any attempt to call undocumented internal VIs) is not officially supported by NI.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(803 Views)

Awesome.  I was able to use that, normal scripting and then \vi.lib\rvi\ClientSDK\Core\Script\Memory\XNode\Public\nirviXnMemory_Open.vi and those VIs to change the register read\write nodes and I think I got it all working.  Thanks again

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(750 Views)