LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA Read Timeout - thermal chamber

Hi,

I am trying to develop a thermal chamber program that runs 24/7.  I am testing it out but there is always a VISA write or read problem with the chamber after running it for around 8+ hours.  Every five seconds, the program queries the chamber for it's status bits or chamber temperature.  These operations are performed without error initially but after around 8+ hours (no exact duration, it varies for each execution), there is a timeout from either the VISA write or VISA read when trying to read the chamber temp/status.  I have logged the IO trace (attached).  I have made sure that no other VISA instrument is communicating during the time the program communicates with the chamber by using semaphores.  I cannot seem to figure out why this would happen. I do have delays between the VISA write and read VIs.  Anyone have any ideas? 

Please see the attached screenshot of the IO Trace.

Any help is appreciated.  thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(1,896 Views)

Hi gohawks,

@gohawks12 wrote:

but after around 8+ hours (no exact duration, it varies for each execution), there is a timeout

Anyone have any ideas?

Well, the working day ends after ~8 hours… 😄

Your device uses GPIB communication: which GPIB port do you use?

Are there any power saving settings active with that specific port?

(When talking about hardware problems it might help to specify the hardware you are using!)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(1,891 Views)

Hi I am the OP. Just using a different account. I am using this chamber: EC127 http://www.sunelectronics.com/Temperature-Chamber-Refrigeration-Model.html I am using GPIB port 6. I am not sure of the power saving settings but I will check. Thanks for the tip.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(1,865 Views)

What GPIB controller are you using?

What is the total length of GPIB cables to the temperature chamber?

What other devices are on the GPIB bus?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(1,847 Views)

I’m using the blue NI GPIB USB HS. 

cable length is not that long. Probably 6-10 ft. 

other devices are two PSUs. Keysight N57xx

and DMM switch matrix. Keithley 2750. 

I used semaphores to ensure they are not communicating simultaneously 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(1,828 Views)

USB.  Probably the something to do with the power settings for this device.  The PC probably makes it go to sleep.  Make sure your PC's current power profile doesn't allow USB devices to go into power saving mode.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(1,816 Views)

@ANON12345 wrote:

I used semaphores to ensure they are not communicating simultaneously 

Semaphores should not be necessary since the GPIB controller will handle all of that mess.

My main suspect is the USB hub power settings.  Make sure Windows is not allowed to turn those off to "save power".

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(1,807 Views)

Billko and crossrulz, 

thanks for the tips. I will change the usb power setting and let you know if that works. Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(1,798 Views)

So before I changed the USB power settings, I  re ran the test but I put an error clear VI after the chamber read VI just to see what would happen.

It looks like the chamber wasn't able to read momentarily since it read a measurement of zero but I guess after the error cleared then it was able to read properly again shortly after...

I am reading from the chamber every 5 seconds.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(1,786 Views)

@gohawks12 wrote:

So before I changed the USB power settings, I  re ran the test but I put an error clear VI after the chamber read VI just to see what would happen.

It looks like the chamber wasn't able to read momentarily since it read a measurement of zero but I guess after the error cleared then it was able to read properly again shortly after...

I am reading from the chamber every 5 seconds.

That's like fixing your smoke detector by wearing ear plugs.  FIX THE PROBLEM, DON'T SWALLOW THE ERROR.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(1,775 Views)