From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA READ wait for termination character not working

Solved!
Go to solution

@mcduff wrote:

@billko wrote:

@crossrulz wrote:

@emime wrote:

Here is the user manual for external devices.

MP-285A_QuickRef_ExternalControl.pdf (sutter.com)

Ah, more information.  Now for the kicker: you do NOT want to be using the Termination Character here.  The data is transmitted in a hex/binary/raw data format, which means your termination character could actually be found in the actual data.  So you need to know how many bytes to read and verify.  So if you send the Get Current Position command (c\r), then you read 13 bytes and verify the last byte is a Carriage Return (0x0D).  If that passes, you can parse the 3 I32 values.  I recommend using Unflatten From String with the data type being a cluster of 3 I32 values.

Sorry, Mcduff, I have to vote for this one.  Except I'm not sure about the \r that is part of the response.  Will it just show up at the rest of the binary string output of the unflatten from string?

I agree the above is a good way to measure Position; it's just not applicable for any other command. I assume the OP wants to do more than just get position, maybe status updates, maybe the ability to interrupt moves, etc. Use something general to communicate with the device, then use something specific, like unflatten form string, to parse specific commands.

mcduff

Billko, the unflatten from string will return any remaining characters after the conversion. It will consume as many characters as need to satisfy the input type. Everything else is simply passed on.

McDuff, I'm with Crossrulz on this. If I am implementing a protocol API, I will have methods for each command. The details of that command will be within that specific VI. I would also have typedefs defines for the various data types which would be returned from the device. Generalizing the read in the manner you did doesn't really save much if implementing this protocol. The sizes of the responses are known so simply read that many bytes.

Now if the responses were variable length and the lengths weren't known, then your approach would work. If all the response formats are known, just use that.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
Message 21 of 37
(660 Views)

@mcduff wrote:

@billko wrote:

@crossrulz wrote:

@emime wrote:

Here is the user manual for external devices.

MP-285A_QuickRef_ExternalControl.pdf (sutter.com)

Ah, more information.  Now for the kicker: you do NOT want to be using the Termination Character here.  The data is transmitted in a hex/binary/raw data format, which means your termination character could actually be found in the actual data.  So you need to know how many bytes to read and verify.  So if you send the Get Current Position command (c\r), then you read 13 bytes and verify the last byte is a Carriage Return (0x0D).  If that passes, you can parse the 3 I32 values.  I recommend using Unflatten From String with the data type being a cluster of 3 I32 values.

Sorry, Mcduff, I have to vote for this one.  Except I'm not sure about the \r that is part of the response.  Will it just show up at the rest of the binary string output of the unflatten from string?

I agree the above is a good way to measure Position; it's just not applicable for any other command. I assume the OP wants to do more than just get position, maybe status updates, maybe the ability to interrupt moves, etc. Use something general to communicate with the device, then use something specific, like unflatten form string, to parse specific commands.

mcduff

I agree that if I were to make this a full-blown implementation of the protocol, it would be a lot more hammered out than this.  I think this was just a specific-use example.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 22 of 37
(654 Views)

@billko wrote:

Except I'm not sure about the \r that is part of the response.  Will it just show up at the rest of the binary string output of the unflatten from string?

Yes, the Carriage Return will be part of the "rest of the binary string" output.  But you only really care about that if you are checking for it, which you really should do if you want to use the protocol to its fullest.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 23 of 37
(650 Views)

Wow thank you all for the responses, the only issue I have is using the move + vector + CR, it does what it should but doesn't wait til the end of the movement to send a CR. So I am going to use a while loop after sending the command to poll for the current position (c + CR) until it matches the end point position. Thank you all for the help.

Message 24 of 37
(647 Views)

@emime wrote:

Wow thank you all for the responses, the only issue I have is using the move + vector + CR, it does what it should but doesn't wait til the end of the movement to send a CR. So I am going to use a while loop after sending the command to poll for the current position (c + CR) until it matches the end point position. Thank you all for the help.

I think that's fair.  Too bad they didn't implement an "Operation Complete" option where you could tell it to not respond until you get to your destination.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Message 25 of 37
(643 Views)

@emime wrote:

Depending on the controller, you may need to check for "close enough" instead of an exact match of the current to the desired positions (subtract, absolute value, less or equal to).

GCentral
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 26 of 37
(624 Views)

@billko wrote:

@emime wrote:

I think that's fair.  Too bad they didn't implement an "Operation Complete" option where you could tell it to not respond until you get to your destination.

Doesn't it have a status query of some sort? Most motion devices do NOT wait to respond to any move command until the move is finished. That would result in a very badly responding application. Instead the command STARTS the movement and the response only indicates that it was accepted and initiated. 

If you need to know if the motion is finished you can monitor the current position but that is a bit prone to precision issues. Most motion hardware will NOT move to the exact position but just about what it considers good enough. Otherwise the implementation of the control loop for the motor gets very tricky and in fact easily can start to oscillate.

Better yet is if the motion device provides a status value where various bits in it will indicate if the motion axis is powered, activated, on brake, moving, or in error. This is usually per axis but sometimes you also have a summary status word that is a combination of all enabled axes.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 27 of 37
(595 Views)

And for most binary protocols you can not do a catch all single Utility Read VI. There is always a command specific parsing, but for binary protocols it is rather using the Unflatten from String than the Scan from String. The fact that there is a <CR> at the end of the binary packet is kind of superfluous but as long as it is consistent it doesn't really matter. Other binary protocols often use a 0x02 (Start of Text) and 0x03 (End of Text) to start and end a data frame. Appending a <CR> instead as End of Text indication is maybe not quite standard but just as valid than an 0x03 ETX character.

Instead the binary protocol must have a known response length depending for each command. If this response length varies per command, this is part of your communication driver implementation. But that is no justification to use Bytes at Port to do your own ETX detection!! This detection has the same problem as VISA. It can be tripped by legitimate data bytes that match the specific ETX character. Instead you should read the well known number of bytes depending on the response you expect and only after that check if the last byte is the expected <end of message> character. If it isn't you have some kind of transmission error or you have data left in the RxD FIFO from a previous response and need to find out why.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 28 of 37
(581 Views)

Thank our Lucky Stars that we have patrolling the forums.  Yes, there is a status command!

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 29 of 37
(567 Views)

@rolfk wrote:

Instead the binary protocol must have a known response length depending for each command. If this response length varies per command, this is part of your communication driver implementation. But that is no justification to use Bytes at Port to do your own ETX detection!!

If you are trying to comment on mcduff's code, he is actually checking to see if more data came in every 20ms.  When data stops coming in, read that much data.  I can see that having a place, but it seems very inefficient and it also opens you up to other timing issues.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 30 of 37
(552 Views)