From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF0015) Timeout expired before operation completed.

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello to everybody.

I have a function generator Aim TTi, model TGP3122. I linked to the USB port and I installed VISA driver. Using NI VISA interactive control (on NI MAX), I tried to give some simply task to my instrument, but I always receive this message:

VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF0015) Timeout expired before operation completed.

I use remote commands written on the instruction manual.

I tried to increase timeout but it doesn´t work. I have I/O protocol setted on normal. I have Baud rate 9600, data bits 8, stop bits 1 and parity "none".

PC with windows 10.

Can you help me please??

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(9,168 Views)

Hi Sim1,

do you have any other tool avaliable to test this serial communication?

Does the hardware manufacturer suplly any tool?

Did you test using HyperTerm (or similar) tools?

Does the communication work when using MAX?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 13
(9,143 Views)

Hi GerdW, thank you for your help. Anyway the asnwer is no to all the questions! Do you suggest to try with other tools? I need to control my function generator through Labview, but I receive the same error obviously. With NI MAX I can only detect the instrument. Actually I see it go on remote mode, but when I do a query I receive the error.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(9,130 Views)

@Sim1 wrote:

Do you suggest to try with other tools?

If the instrument shows up as a virtual serial port, I recommend trying with Putty.  Others around here like Teraterm.  These are good for simple serial communication testing.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(9,126 Views)

Hi,

I tried to use Putty and Teraterm. I can set instrument port and he goes on "rem" mode, when I try to send some command it doesn´t respond.

I tried for example with teraterm to use setbaud command, changing its value, then I checked on the serial port setup but it wasn´t change at all.

I also installed the instrument with ethernet port, but I receive the same error on VISA test panel. I don´t know where is my mistake!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(9,059 Views)

Search the forums for this error number.  There are several things that could cause it.  To list a few.

1.  Cable problem.  Good/bad?  Null modem/straight through?

2  Settings.  Baud rate, data bits, stop bits, parity?

3.  Termination character?  Does i require a line feed or carriage return?  Are you sending it?  Sometimes people send a literal backslash and "r"  when they type \r into a constant or control in normal mode, when it should be in \codes mode where the \r will represent a carriage return.  (A carriage return or linefeed is not visible in normal display mode.)

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(9,055 Views)

@Sim1 wrote:

I tried to use Putty and Teraterm. I can set instrument port and he goes on "rem" mode, when I try to send some command it doesn´t respond.

That tells me you have either a settings issue (possible), and cable issue (not likely), or a command issue (most likely).  Exactly what command are you trying to send?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(9,049 Views)

1) I think the cable is ok (USB), I tried to change it and it´s the same.

2) Baud rate 9600, data bits 8, parity "none", stop bits 1, flow control "none". I didn´t change anything.

3) the termination character should be \n, at least on VISA test panel.

Untitled.png

Like these. You can also see the error.

Basically I just want to send commands to change amplitude and whatever, like in pg 75 of http://resources.aimtti.com/manuals/TGP3100_Series_Instruction_Manual-Iss2.pdf

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(9,025 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sim1

Make sure the "Enable Termination Character" is selected

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(9,013 Views)

Are you sure the instrument is set up to use USB for communication?  (Page 60 of that manual.)

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(9,000 Views)