LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VISA: (Hex 0xBFFF0015) Timeout expired before operation completed.

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I'm using the LabView driver and programs downloaded from here to read values from the PM3000a over serial. I'm using LabView 2009 32 bit and VISA 5.2.

I'm using a DB25 to DB9 RS232 cable and a RS232 to USB cable to connect it to my pc and it's showing up as a COM4 port.

I'm running the Read Display VI and I'm getting the error code -1073807339, source: VISA Read in PM3000A Read Display.vi.

I've attached a screenshot of the progam with the error which is coming from the VISA Read function block.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(5,257 Views)

Hope I cn help.  Usally ask more questions than I answer.

1st did you try hyperterminal??

2nd try the shipping example: Basic Serial Write and Read .vi.

You'll need the user manual for the device to see what strings you can send to see what the response will be.  The device I used at one time just took a ?.  It replied w "ready"  The hyperterm is nice because you don't have to worry about timing when it comes to reading back the response.  Make sure you set up your baud rate, com port, etc in the Hyperterm and serial read write vi.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(5,252 Views)

Hi, this is all new to me, so please excuse the lack of basic knowledge....

So I have my baud rate and COM ports all set up for whichever program I'm using.

I've installed hyperterminal and ran it and been able to make a connection with my COM port.

I've also tried to run the basic serial write and read.vi

I've gotten the following error:

Error -1073807339 occurred at VISA Read in basic_serial_write_and_read.vi

Possible reason(s):

VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF0015) Timeout expired before operation completed.

To be honest I'm not really sure what code I should be using to write to the Power Analyser.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(5,234 Views)

@meepaula wrote:

Hi, this is all new to me, so please excuse the lack of basic knowledge....

So I have my baud rate and COM ports all set up for whichever program I'm using.

I've installed hyperterminal and ran it and been able to make a connection with my COM port.

I've also tried to run the basic serial write and read.vi

I've gotten the following error:

Error -1073807339 occurred at VISA Read in basic_serial_write_and_read.vi

Possible reason(s):

VISA:  (Hex 0xBFFF0015) Timeout expired before operation completed.

To be honest I'm not really sure what code I should be using to write to the Power Analyser.

You said you've installed Hyperterm and ran it....are you getting a response back that you expect??  In other words if ...just for example...if I send *IDN? in hyperterm it should...on most devices.. respond w some lengthy info about the dev model...manufact etc. 

In my opinion you need to get hyperterm working 1st.  If you can't talk using this you've got other issues.  You can program most instruments in LV.   There are over 9000 diff drivers.  

Open the text file that is sent w the driver you have a link to in your last Post.  It talks about issues w serial (verbose) .  Also did you try the PM3000a.vi that comes in the LLB of the zipped driver library?? Its the 1st vi in the llb of vtpm300x.  Inflate those files in a temp directory and try that.  I had to point LV to one of the other file in the vtpm300u.llb file.  vtpm300xx ground trigger.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(5,220 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author meepaula

Hi, thanks for your help....turned out my cable was the problem...so replaced that and now everything is working....

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(5,183 Views)